Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing radeon KMS on Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by tormod View Post
    I can confirm that both suspend and hibernation is broken, but I am not sure if it is KMS or another kernel problem. I even had bits of my .bash_history and firefox profile ending up in /var/log/syslog so there is apparently the possibility of major file (system) corruption.
    I think that Ubuntu is using vbetool to POST gpu when resuming from suspend to RAM - that may lead to crash or hang when KMS is enabled. There are possibly also other issues.

    Comment


    • #17
      I have ASUS AH3650 (a.k.a. ATI Radeon HD 3650 512M). Machine is 64/bit AMD Phenom X3 4950 (I think).
      I am using Jaunty with 2.6.30./rc8 and 2.6.30-8.999 daily kernel and radeon driver from tormod`s ppa ...
      I`ve tried Your Live/CD (it is 32/bit?)(I am writing this while on it) and (compiz is not woking but I do not care) I would like to try it on Jaunty. What is the right way to do that. My 2.6.30/rc8 kernel is not the right one? I should add Your repository, update what is updateable automatically and then manually install that kernel? What problems should I expect on that route to ... ?
      update: I've upgraded to Karmic in the meantime. So I will try to follow instructions on the ppa site. The only thing that bugs me is: what happens if I try to use different (read newer) kernel that is not from that ppa? Will the kernel be updated on Your ppa in the same rhythm as it is coming on in mainline ... ?
      update-1: It was worth of all the "trouble" ... Glxgears almost doubled, compiz is not working (who cares) but card is, at last, coming near some of its previous performances in Ubuntu... Thank You for all the work You are doing for our little community.
      update-2: For those who might be interested, it works with 2.6.30-8.999 (from mainline, latest daily) but with crippled speed (the same as it was in Karmic before I applied updates from Your ppa) but it boots in 5 sconds less with 2.6.30-8.999 than with Your version of 2.6.30-8-generic. I can live with that 5 seconds more ...
      Last edited by zika; 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Will this work with RS780 chips (HD3200), probably been asked already or mentioned somewhere but I haven't been keeping up with all the latest radeon KMS and 3D stuff

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by tormod View Post
          The above page also links to a Karmic-based live CD image (URL might change) which has all bits installed and simply boots up to the wonderful world of KMS...
          I installed this on a T60p with a FireGL V5200 and it works as expected. S2RAM is broken, probably due to Ubuntu's VBE check. The rest works just smooth, with wobbly compiz, 720p videos, moving glxgears on the cube.

          Different from jglisse's git version and a modified kernel on my Mandriva system, even Flash HD videos work rather well in fullscreen. This is an enormous progress ;-) [1]

          Generally speaking, the performance is awesome and the advantages of KMS become more and more obvious.

          Thanks for the great work!

          [1] Is there chance for the near future to get
          * GL_ARB_multitexture
          * GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
          * GL_ARB_shader_objects
          * GL_ARB_shading_language_100
          * GL_ARB_fragment_shader
          working with my FireGL card? I *really* would like to make use of GPU accelerated flash videos.

          Comment


          • #20
            On Jaunty, the VBE POST on resume quirk is configured in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-*

            Check /var/log/pm-suspend to see which quirks are in use.

            On Karmic these quirks should be automatically disabled when KMS is in use (by /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video).
            Last edited by tormod; 06-08-2009, 05:36 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by tormod View Post
              On Jaunty, the VBE POST on resume quirk is configured in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-*

              Check /var/log/pm-suspend to see which quirks are in use.

              On Karmic these quirks should be automatically disabled when KMS is in use (by /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video).
              after disabling VBE there, I could finally start an Xserver with radeon on my jaunty setup.
              At least for EXA/2D - 3D is still dog slow. Might it be that GDM starts its own Xserver which get in conflict?
              Does your liveCD use GDM?

              Comment


              • #22
                For Jaunty, to disable all the suspend video quirks, download http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-main...-video;hb=HEAD and correct the typo in it, make it executable and copy it to /etc/pm-utils/sleep.d:
                Code:
                sed -i 's/add_parameter/add_parameters/' 98smart-kernel-video
                chmod 755 98smart-kernel-video
                sudo cp 98smart-kernel-video /etc/pm/sleep.d/
                Remember to delete /etc/pm/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video again when upgrading to Karmic.

                Unfortunately, suspend and hibernation is still broken my Jaunty system.

                EDIT: You can also find a backport for Jaunty of the Karmic pm-utils in the PPA.
                Last edited by tormod; 06-09-2009, 02:19 AM. Reason: pm-utils in PPA

                Comment


                • #23
                  My experience

                  I tried the CD image, on a Thinkpad T60 with a Radeon X1400 Mobile and an SXGA+ screen (probably the same machine as mentioned in the article).

                  Except for the boot experience not being very pretty (nor very fast, from a USB stick), it works rather well. Especially:

                  * VT switching works fine
                  * DRI2 works all right, can move around glxgears in a wobbly window without corruption
                  * Changing resolution up and down works, even without crashing compiz, which is a first for me.

                  That said, the main downside is that it's considerably slower than the current architecture, for both 2D and 3D operations it seemed to me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by tormod View Post
                    I can confirm that both suspend and hibernation is broken, but I am not sure if it is KMS or another kernel problem.
                    For me this the first time suspend works out of the box though

                    Earlier I had to use s2ram and some hacks for it to make it work.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      There is now a new kernel in the radeon-kms PPA, based on 2.6.30 final. It is included in the new live CD version 0.14kms. Unfortunately, suspend is still broken on my gear, even though the new kernel includes the fix "radeon: fix suspend/resume on PCIE card".

                      EDIT: My own suspend problem is a karmic one and not a kms one: A mainline 2.6.30 kernel suspends fine, the stock karmic kernel does not.
                      Last edited by tormod; 06-21-2009, 03:58 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by DF5JT View Post
                        [1] Is there chance for the near future to get
                        * GL_ARB_multitexture
                        * GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
                        * GL_ARB_shader_objects
                        * GL_ARB_shading_language_100
                        * GL_ARB_fragment_shader
                        working with my FireGL card? I *really* would like to make use of GPU accelerated flash videos.
                        I think GL_ARB_multitexture has existed for a while. GL_EXT_framebuffer_object probably comes eventually, taken its time since it apparently needs a kernel memory manager to be doable sensibly. Unsure about the rest. (Just an educated guess: at latest in Gallium; seems to me a driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 should be plenty more than sufficient for them all and Gallium should provide that)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by tormod View Post
                          The above page also links to a Karmic-based live CD image (URL might change) which has all bits installed and simply boots up to the wonderful world of KMS...
                          I tried this on an nforce2 motherboard with an x1950pro AGP card - unfortunately it doesn't boot:

                          [drm:radeon_driver_load_kms] *ERROR* Failed to initalize radeon. Disabling IOCTL

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by runrun View Post
                            I tried this on an nforce2 motherboard with an x1950pro AGP card - unfortunately it doesn't boot:

                            [drm:radeon_driver_load_kms] *ERROR* Failed to initalize radeon. Disabling IOCTL
                            Did you run the latest 0.14kms CD? And did you read comment #2 in this thread?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by tormod View Post
                              There is now a new kernel in the radeon-kms PPA, based on 2.6.30 final. It is included in the new live CD version 0.14kms. Unfortunately, suspend is still broken on my gear, even though the new kernel includes the fix "radeon: fix suspend/resume on PCIE card".
                              Thanks a lot for sharing the news about the new kernel. Suspend works like a charm now on my box.

                              L.E.: hibernate does not work though. When I try to hibernate it does not turn off the PC, instead I have to push the power off button on the case and on the next boot it hangs
                              Last edited by samentu; 06-20-2009, 08:31 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I tried to boot the live CD from a USB memory stick (copied using the isotostick shell script) and it failed with some complaint about squashfs version mismatch. Anyone else using it?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X