Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, the current radeon works exceptionally well!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    Well, I'm mainly talking about the performance regression from previous versions to a default Jaunty set-up.

With the Tormod and radeon-rewrite PPAs, Compiz seems a bit faster, and glxgears shows a higher FPS (~800), but anything else that uses 3D is messed up, textures, or something like that, mainly unplayable.

So I'm wondering if I use the Ubuntu X-Swat or the tormod PPAs without radeon-rewrite, will I have usable 3D without performance problems?
    My 3D seems to be ok at the moment, with the X-Swat repo builds of DRM and radeon, and the 2.6.29.4 kernel installed manually on Jaunty. I'm not using radeon-rewrite. I'm on an X1400 Mobility, so take it with a grain of salt if you are using other hardware.

Tormod is a contributor to the X-Swat team as well, so you should see the good bits from his builds reflected there.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
      My 3D seems to be ok at the moment, with the X-Swat repo builds of DRM and radeon, and the 2.6.29.4 kernel installed manually on Jaunty. I'm not using radeon-rewrite. I'm on an X1400 Mobility, so take it with a grain of salt if you are using other hardware.

Tormod is a contributor to the X-Swat team as well, so you should see the good bits from his builds reflected there.
      Well, I tried it out, and it's like I expected, I disabled xorg-crackers and radeon-rewrite PPAs, added X-Swat updates, downgraded to latest, 3D is working properly, but very slowly (performance regression), but that's kinda expected seeing Ubuntu X-Swat does not provide an updated Mesa package :/

Oh well, any one has an idea about how to fix this?

Comment

Well, I tried it out, and it's like I expected, I disabled xorg-crackers and radeon-rewrite PPAs, added X-Swat updates, downgraded to latest, 3D is working properly, but very slowly (performance regression), but that's kinda expected seeing Ubuntu X-Swat does not provide an updated Mesa package :/

Oh well, any one has an idea about how to fix this?
        If you see something not working with radeon-rewrite which works fine with the "classic" mesa, other components being the same, please report a bug as explained on the radeon-rewrite PPA page.

BTW, we will update mesa in x-updates as soon as a stable update exists.

Comment

Hmm, Well, I will be giving it another go.
          I already have the latest .30 kernel from Karmic, should I add the 3 repos mentioned, do an apt-get upgrade?

Comment

Hmm, Well, I will be giving it another go.
            I already have the latest .30 kernel from Karmic, should I add the 3 repos mentioned, do an apt-get upgrade?
            No, you don't have to add any other repo.

Comment

Wow i feel stupid i totally forgot that i was playing around with catalyst control center in windows and changed the amount of built-in memory to 32...
              Anyway now with tormod,xorg-edgers,radeon-rewrite ppa things are working more smoothly, etracer and most texture issues are gone
              but still one issue that i have is that blender still has artifacts,mainly with the menu and also yo frankie doesnt work , but i still need to check rest of my games
              (sorry for the way my post looks as i am posting on my phone)

Comment

Working...
              X