Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, the current radeon works exceptionally well!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    Does the versions of Mesa and Radeon in Ubuntu X-Swat fix the performance regression that I had with the X200?

    Because for some reason 3D is messed up these days with the radeon-rewrite.
    What was the performance regression, and in what app? Maybe I can check it for you.

    Comment


    • #12
      I think this was the Mesa regression for chips without HW TCL. I'm pretty sure it was fixed in the radeon-rewrite branch of mesa, not sure about mesa master.

      Comment


      • #13
        Porter, could you post your xorg.conf for us noobs?

        Comment


        • #14
          Not much to see.

          Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "Configured Monitor"
          EndSection

          Section "Screen"
          Identifier "Default Screen"
          Monitor "Configured Monitor"
          Device "Configured Video Device"
          EndSection

          Section "Device"
          Identifier "Configured Video Device"
          Option "ClockGating" "on"
          EndSection

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Porter View Post
            What was the performance regression, and in what app? Maybe I can check it for you.
            Well, I'm mainly talking about the performance regression from previous versions to a default Jaunty set-up.

            With the Tormod and radeon-rewrite PPAs, Compiz seems a bit faster, and glxgears shows a higher FPS (~800), but anything else that uses 3D is messed up, textures, or something like that, mainly unplayable.

            So I'm wondering if I use the Ubuntu X-Swat or the tormod PPAs without radeon-rewrite, will I have usable 3D without performance problems?

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
              Well, I'm mainly talking about the performance regression from previous versions to a default Jaunty set-up.

              With the Tormod and radeon-rewrite PPAs, Compiz seems a bit faster, and glxgears shows a higher FPS (~800), but anything else that uses 3D is messed up, textures, or something like that, mainly unplayable.

              So I'm wondering if I use the Ubuntu X-Swat or the tormod PPAs without radeon-rewrite, will I have usable 3D without performance problems?
              My 3D seems to be ok at the moment, with the X-Swat repo builds of DRM and radeon, and the 2.6.29.4 kernel installed manually on Jaunty. I'm not using radeon-rewrite. I'm on an X1400 Mobility, so take it with a grain of salt if you are using other hardware.

              Tormod is a contributor to the X-Swat team as well, so you should see the good bits from his builds reflected there.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Porter View Post
                My 3D seems to be ok at the moment, with the X-Swat repo builds of DRM and radeon, and the 2.6.29.4 kernel installed manually on Jaunty. I'm not using radeon-rewrite. I'm on an X1400 Mobility, so take it with a grain of salt if you are using other hardware.

                Tormod is a contributor to the X-Swat team as well, so you should see the good bits from his builds reflected there.
                Well, I tried it out, and it's like I expected, I disabled xorg-crackers and radeon-rewrite PPAs, added X-Swat updates, downgraded to latest, 3D is working properly, but very slowly (performance regression), but that's kinda expected seeing Ubuntu X-Swat does not provide an updated Mesa package :/

                Oh well, any one has an idea about how to fix this?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                  Well, I tried it out, and it's like I expected, I disabled xorg-crackers and radeon-rewrite PPAs, added X-Swat updates, downgraded to latest, 3D is working properly, but very slowly (performance regression), but that's kinda expected seeing Ubuntu X-Swat does not provide an updated Mesa package :/

                  Oh well, any one has an idea about how to fix this?
                  If you see something not working with radeon-rewrite which works fine with the "classic" mesa, other components being the same, please report a bug as explained on the radeon-rewrite PPA page.

                  BTW, we will update mesa in x-updates as soon as a stable update exists.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Hmm, Well, I will be giving it another go.
                    I already have the latest .30 kernel from Karmic, should I add the 3 repos mentioned, do an apt-get upgrade?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                      Hmm, Well, I will be giving it another go.
                      I already have the latest .30 kernel from Karmic, should I add the 3 repos mentioned, do an apt-get upgrade?
                      No, you don't have to add any other repo.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X