No announcement yet.

AMD Pushes Out New R600/700 3D Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was experimenting a little more, added the following options to xorg.conf:

Code:
    Option "EXANoComposite" "true"
    Option "EXANoUploadToScreen"
    Option "EXANoDownloadFromScreen"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    ...and added a printf statement after the glFlush() from hello.c. Now I launched the hello program from a terminal and alt-tabbed between the terminal and the hello window. Each time I uncovered the hello window the text I put in the printf statement was printed to the terminal but besides the decoration put on by the window manager the hello window remained completely transparent. After a while the hello program segfaulted and about a half minute later the X server finally locked up.
    Last edited by monraaf; 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Update: I managed to get RadeonHD working with the drm. I totally forgot that RadeonHD needs Option "DRI" "on" in the xorg.conf... With RadeonHD and Option "AccelMethod" "None" in the xorg.conf the X server doesn't lock up anymore.

The hello program still doesn't look how it's intended to be though, still a lot of transparency.

Last edited by monraaf; 05-21-2009, 01:36 AM.

Comment

None of these xorg.conf changes work for me, except the accelmethod none which slowed window dragging and mousewheel scrolling to annoying levels.

I thought I did the git clone...git pull...and git checkout stuff but I must not have. I know this does not support the 780g (hd3200) yet with 3d but I thought I'd try it out.

So far 2D acceleration seems to be much better than previous ati or radeonhd.

When I cd into mesa and do git branch, I see master and then have an asterisk in front of radeon-rewrite. What do I need to play along? In meantime I'll try to git checkout the r6xxx ones.

Comment

ASUS AH3650 a.k.a. ATI Radeon HD 3650 512M :

if I use radeonhd driver scrolling in Firefox is painfully slow, line by line with redraw every time.

I'm up to date to tormod and sarvatt ppa's ... I've tried with 2.6.30-rc{6,7} but no help ...

It doesn't happen with radeon driver.

any help?

When we can expect some breakthrough in 2D and 3D for this (R635) engine ...? compiz ... ?
          Last edited by zika; 05-24-2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Why do you want to use radeonhd? Use radeon if it doesn't have this problem. Radeonhd should die after adding audio over hdmi support to radeon imho.

Comment

Originally posted by zika View Post
              ASUS AH3650 a.k.a. ATI Radeon HD 3650 512M :

if I use radeonhd driver scrolling in Firefox is painfully slow, line by line with redraw every time.

I'm up to date to tormod and sarvatt ppa's ... I've tried with 2.6.30-rc{6,7} but no help ...

It doesn't happen with radeon driver.

any help?

When we can expect some breakthrough in 2D and 3D for this (R635) engine ...? compiz ... ?
              If you pastebin an X log we can take a look. First thing to check is Option "DRI" in the Device section; radeonhd needs that while radeon does not.

Comment

Originally posted by ssmaxss View Post
                Why do you want to use radeonhd? Use radeon if it doesn't have this problem. Radeonhd should die after adding audio over hdmi support to radeon imho.
                I was not aware of that. I thought the other way around ... Thank You for solving my dilemma ...

update: Today's upgrade to radeonhd-rewrite solved it ...!
                update: But only in 2.6.30. In 2.6.28-12 (with added module radeon) the problem persists ...)
                Last edited by zika; 05-25-2009, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Actually they might end up both dying and getting replaced by a lean and mean driver that taps into Gallium and KMS+memory manager for about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    If you pastebin an X log we can take a look. First thing to check is Option "DRI" in the Device section; radeonhd needs that while radeon does not.
                    I have DRI option. Xorg.0.log is to big to put it here ...

Comment

Xorg.0.log is to big to put it here ...
                      you should use site like pastebin, and post here only link.

Comment

you should use site like pastebin, and post here only link.
                        Good to know, thanks.

Comment

Latest git is looking better already, I presume it's the effect of the clear code and not the rectangle that I'm seeing here. Still only works with radeonhd and Accelmethod None though.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                            Latest git is looking better already, I presume it's the effect of the clear code and not the rectangle that I'm seeing here. Still only works with radeonhd and Accelmethod None though.

Try running it twice in a row? For me the rectangle only appears on the second run. (Since your run is quite different from what I got, would be interesting to see what the second run looks like for you)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                              Actually they might end up both dying and getting replaced by a lean and mean driver that taps into Gallium and KMS+memory manager for about everything.
                              So I'm not the only one confused about why work on these is being pushed instead of work on Gallium3D drivers. If you have no 3D support, and have to start from scratch, why would you start working on something which will soon need to be replaced?

Shouldn't 2D and 3D accel be something in progress for future (hopefully not too long) Gallium3D support?

Comment

Because there is a lot of enterprise/LTS distros that won't use that gallium3d thing till it tested to death, but they want 3d support for r6xx/r7xx which will be provided old classic mesa way.

Comment

Working...
                                X