Radeon Driver Gets Reworked Textured Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    This is exposed as an Xv adaptor, so you shouldn't have to do anything as mplayer and most other video players try to use Xv by default.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

Comment

The only think to consider is that if bicubic filtering is enabled then these new attributes won't be available. Here's the latest I could find on turning bicubic off -- looks like it's controlled by *another* attribute :

"You can disable it on the fly using the XV_BICUBIC Xv attribute. You can use an app like xvattr to change Xv attributes."

Last I remember is that bicubic is enabled by default on 3xx-5xx hardware. I'm pretty sure about 5xx, less sure about 3xx-4xx.
      Test signature

Comment

yeah, XV_BICUBIC is only available on r3xx-r5xx. To disable it, run:
        xvattr -a XV_BICUBIC -v 0 -p <port>
        where <port> is the textured video port you want to disable bicubic on. You can see the ports with xvinfo or xvattr.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          While this video acceleration is not ideal as say VDPAU, VA-API, or even just XvMC it will certainly be appreciated by ATI customers.
          Can you really call Xv video acceleration? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
            Of course it's video acceleration. Actually it's pretty much the biggest chunk of acceleration that needs to be done, the rendering.
            What it's not is video-decode acceleration.

btw, great work @ all involved

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
              You can't call it video *decode* acceleration (since it only covers the *render* portion of the playback stack) but as Zhick said Xv makes a huge difference in CPU utilization during video playback and can also improve video quality along the way (by doing processing which the CPU would not be able to handle).
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                You can't call it video *decode* acceleration
                And that's exactly why I think it's really irritating to call it "video acceleration", which nowadays is more or less synonymous with decode acceleration. I think I've never seen anyone call Xv "video acceleration" before.

Comment

Wierd... my experience has been exactly the opposite... I don't think I've ever seen "video acceleration" refer exclusively to decode.

VDPAU, VA-API and XvBA are all decode+render APIs.

Maybe you're thinking about it from a "news" perspective ? If render acceleration was already available, and then decode+render acceleration is announced, the "new part" is decode ?
                  Test signature

Comment

/n

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    The textured video changes also cover all of the radeon generations so went into -ati as well.
                    Something's not right - I've installed the latest ATI driver from git on my R100 machine (which doesn't have bicubic filtering), and the only Xv attributes that Textured Video ports have is XV_SYNC.

Comment

Yeah, I was just looking in the tree and it seems Roland started with 2xx, not 1xx. I just asked agd5f for clarification on IRC..

OK, that was a D'oh!! moment... the attribute processing is done in shaders, and the R100 family doesn't really have what we call shaders today.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 19 April 2009, 01:19 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X