Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonHD 1.2.5 Driver Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think radeonhd also has tear-free Xv these days but am not 100% sure.
    doesn't work for me, despite xvinfo stating
    Adaptor #0: "RadeonHD Textured Video"
    and so on.

    rv770, debian lenny, dri loads, aiglx (obviously) not, latest drm modules up and running

    the funny thing is: radeon 6.12.2 does give tear-free video but is enervingly sluggish after i opened 4 to 5 windows (mostly firefox). then scrolling is slow and i see every window being drawn.

    radeonhd works fine regarding speed, maybe because it doesn't give tear-free playback

    Comment


    • #22
      Did you use new enough drm? Get dkms from

      http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/dkms/download

      and then run

      http://kanotix.com/files/fix/dkms/dr...upport-dkms.sh

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Kano View Post
        drm does already come from your script

        currently running radeonhd git, about 2 hours old, problem is lack of tear-free video playback.
        xorg.conf: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m5ca713bd
        xvinfo output: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m2a02f4a4
        xorg.0.log: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m7e1b0bbf

        or do you think it's easier to fix the slowlyness of radeon? i could post that log, too.

        Comment


        • #24
          They should perform the same as they use the same code with the exception of the Xv tearing stuff. Are you sure EXA is enabled properly in both cases?

          Comment


          • #25
            Strange, I do get tear-free video playback with both radeon and radeonhd on my HD 3200.

            The only difference I notice between these drivers is that with radeonhd I can rotate the screen in all directions with the gnome display preferences, with radeon I only get the choice between 'normal' and 'Upside Down'.

            Comment


            • #26
              @enteon

              I updated the script a little bit to fix a build problem, before there was a nv module too which could be build, had to remove that for updated git. Seems somebody merged it again. Everytime you rerun it you get a new snapshot of course.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                They should perform the same as they use the same code with the exception of the Xv tearing stuff. Are you sure EXA is enabled properly in both cases?
                how can i be if the log lies?

                maybe my problems for both of the drivers come from the old xserver in lenny, version 1.4.2.

                radeonhd wiki mentions that x86-64 DRI doesn't work correctly for xserver below 1.4.99.
                if only i could have a mix of radeon and radeonhd

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @enteon

                  I updated the script a little bit to fix a build problem, before there was a nv module too which could be build, had to remove that for updated git. Seems somebody merged it again. Everytime you rerun it you get a new snapshot of course.
                  i just removed everything except for radeon and drm in the old script ^^ and i downloaded it today.

                  anyway i just used your new script, even rebooted and still tearing in vlc and mplayer using xv, regardless of any other common setting like framedropping.

                  will try radeon with the new drm...

                  PS: where should i donate to for the joy of finally having open source video drivers? chipset, cpu and gpu are already AMD
                  Last edited by enteon; 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM. Reason: ps:

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    Strange, I do get tear-free video playback with both radeon and radeonhd on my HD 3200.

                    The only difference I notice between these drivers is that with radeonhd I can rotate the screen in all directions with the gnome display preferences, with radeon I only get the choice between 'normal' and 'Upside Down'.
                    This should be fixed now in radeon git; vestige of the early days of xrandr 1.2 support.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by enteon View Post
                      will try radeon with the new drm...
                      am trying now, tear-free video, but still slow after some usage. but i have the feeling that it got better, maybe because ksysguard reports 3gb of free ram instead of 10mb when last testing but i believe it also counts caches and such which would be made available if an application needs more ram, wouldn't it?

                      xorg takes up 80% of the cpu while simply scrolling down this web-page...i think i remember seeing 40% with radeonhd but not higher. dual-core with 2,8ghz.
                      BUT my cpu is constantly running at 100% by two processes with nice 19. and if i stop them, the sluggish moving of windows disappears, but i'm still seeing the window border drawn on the background windows many times, at least on the non-qt windows, qt windows just have little glitches. it looks like a cascade of window borders which disappears after 2 seconds.

                      xorg.0.log for radeon: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m5cacbba4

                      um...and sorry for me taking over this thread.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X