No announcement yet.

RadeonHD 1.2.5 Driver Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      These aren't the droids you're looking for...
      Should have been: I find your lack of fate disturbing...

Comment

Nice, since AMD is concentrating on their open source effort, at this pace we will have good open source drivers from AMS in 5 years, in the best case scenario. So in 5 years I can choose between bad catalyst 14.4 and good open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
          Should have been: I find your lack of fate disturbing...
          Sorry, bad joke. I was trying to "use a Jedi mind trick" to avoid getting dragged into yet another discussion about why we have two active drivers

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nmindtrick.JPG

The serious answer (which I have given before) is that the two development groups have discussed a number of approaches for getting to a single code base and the conclusion was that we should keep both drivers going for a while, then look at moving to a single code base once kernel modesetting was in use on all the enterprise distros. That may be as simple as a "use KMS for modesetting, use Gallium3D for acceleration" driver but nobody knows for sure right now.

Top priority for most of the distro developers is making sure that their enterprise customers are well supported. Those distros will be running pre-KMS kernels for quite a few years, and so there is a real business need to keep the current drivers going forward for a while longer.

At some point the developers will decide to converge on a single code base and we'll need to find another "competition" to watch instead; in the meantime the cost of supporting two code bases isn't very high. Most of the new work is being done in mesa and drm, and each of those only has a single tree anyways.
          Last edited by bridgman; 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

FWIW, nobody would have noticed or even cared that the LUT has 10-bit precision were it not for the initially broken implementation in radeonhd. Because of that and one unsatisfied hardware calibrator user, we now have a better implementation in both drivers. I'd say that's a win.

I think we all agree that diversity and choice are important to a healthy OSS culture. Just because it hasn't been the norm doesn't mean the same principals can't apply to drivers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I think radeonhd also has tear-free Xv these days but am not 100% sure.
              doesn't work for me, despite xvinfo stating
              Adaptor #0: "RadeonHD Textured Video"
              and so on.

rv770, debian lenny, dri loads, aiglx (obviously) not, latest drm modules up and running

the funny thing is: radeon 6.12.2 does give tear-free video but is enervingly sluggish after i opened 4 to 5 windows (mostly firefox). then scrolling is slow and i see every window being drawn.

radeonhd works fine regarding speed, maybe because it doesn't give tear-free playback

Comment

Did you use new enough drm? Get dkms from

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/dkms/download

and then run

http://kanotix.com/files/fix/dkms/dr...upport-dkms.sh

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  drm does already come from your script

currently running radeonhd git, about 2 hours old, problem is lack of tear-free video playback.
                  xorg.conf: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m5ca713bd
                  xvinfo output: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m2a02f4a4
                  xorg.0.log: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m7e1b0bbf

or do you think it's easier to fix the slowlyness of radeon? i could post that log, too.

Comment

They should perform the same as they use the same code with the exception of the Xv tearing stuff. Are you sure EXA is enabled properly in both cases?

Comment

Strange, I do get tear-free video playback with both radeon and radeonhd on my HD 3200.

The only difference I notice between these drivers is that with radeonhd I can rotate the screen in all directions with the gnome display preferences, with radeon I only get the choice between 'normal' and 'Upside Down'.

Comment

@enteon

I updated the script a little bit to fix a build problem, before there was a nv module too which could be build, had to remove that for updated git. Seems somebody merged it again. Everytime you rerun it you get a new snapshot of course.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                          They should perform the same as they use the same code with the exception of the Xv tearing stuff. Are you sure EXA is enabled properly in both cases?
                          how can i be if the log lies?

maybe my problems for both of the drivers come from the old xserver in lenny, version 1.4.2.

radeonhd wiki mentions that x86-64 DRI doesn't work correctly for xserver below 1.4.99.
                          if only i could have a mix of radeon and radeonhd

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                            @enteon

I updated the script a little bit to fix a build problem, before there was a nv module too which could be build, had to remove that for updated git. Seems somebody merged it again. Everytime you rerun it you get a new snapshot of course.
                            i just removed everything except for radeon and drm in the old script ^^ and i downloaded it today.

anyway i just used your new script, even rebooted and still tearing in vlc and mplayer using xv, regardless of any other common setting like framedropping.

will try radeon with the new drm...

PS: where should i donate to for the joy of finally having open source video drivers? chipset, cpu and gpu are already AMD
                            Last edited by enteon; 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM. Reason: ps:

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                              Strange, I do get tear-free video playback with both radeon and radeonhd on my HD 3200.

The only difference I notice between these drivers is that with radeonhd I can rotate the screen in all directions with the gnome display preferences, with radeon I only get the choice between 'normal' and 'Upside Down'.
                              This should be fixed now in radeon git; vestige of the early days of xrandr 1.2 support.

Comment

Originally posted by enteon View Post
                                will try radeon with the new drm...
                                am trying now, tear-free video, but still slow after some usage. but i have the feeling that it got better, maybe because ksysguard reports 3gb of free ram instead of 10mb when last testing but i believe it also counts caches and such which would be made available if an application needs more ram, wouldn't it?

xorg takes up 80% of the cpu while simply scrolling down this web-page...i think i remember seeing 40% with radeonhd but not higher. dual-core with 2,8ghz.
                                BUT my cpu is constantly running at 100% by two processes with nice 19. and if i stop them, the sluggish moving of windows disappears, but i'm still seeing the window border drawn on the background windows many times, at least on the non-qt windows, qt windows just have little glitches. it looks like a cascade of window borders which disappears after 2 seconds.

xorg.0.log for radeon: http://phoronix.pastebin.com/m5cacbba4

um...and sorry for me taking over this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X