Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI Graphics In Ubuntu 9.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by quintesse View Post
    What I wondered was, if I have the appropiate hardware and I have the latest xorg and kernel stuff, how do I detect or test that I have working X-Video and EXA?
    Open a terminal and type xvinfo and you will either get very little or a long list of capabilities.

    EXA is simple, your normal desktop is smooth or not. Firefox scrolling will be more like paging if it is not working.

    If you want to be a bit more technical look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and read the xorg loading messages.

    Comment


    • #17
      @Melcar

      fglrx used 8x, radeon used 1x. At least the versions I tested - ok a few years ago.

      Comment


      • #18
        Guys, do you have the Bloom option enabled? Is it on by default by the PTS?

        It certainly is off by default, and it's the only option in OA that can make it unplayable on the open drivers. It drops fps to 1-2, because it hits a sw path, this is a known bug, and a fix is said to need a proper memory manager.
        Ie, more time before we can see some cool lighting effects..

        Comment


        • #19
          Just for information, under Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64, ati 6.12 works in 2d mode for my HD3450. Good 2d and xv video and power management. No compiz or 3d accell as expected, not yet for 3000/4000 chips. So for a normal desktop there is finally a driver that works for 3000/4000 cards. The fglrx that is in the Jaunty repos works better than any that have come before, for normal desktop stuff. Even video in a window under compiz, but still works better with compiz off.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Guys, do you have the Bloom option enabled? Is it on by default by the PTS?

            It certainly is off by default, and it's the only option in OA that can make it unplayable on the open drivers. It drops fps to 1-2, because it hits a sw path, this is a known bug, and a fix is said to need a proper memory manager.
            Ie, more time before we can see some cool lighting effects..

            Yes, it is the bloom effect (don't know if PTS has it on, but turning it off in a normal OA game makes it playable). Most games I have tried are playable at medium to low settings even at 1680x1050 as long as you don't use any fancy post processing effects (AA, AF, etc.) or lighting effects.

            Comment


            • #21
              Feel free to add your experience and mark here, what do you need to turn off, etc.

              http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

              Comment


              • #22
                Code:
                    Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
                    Option "ColorTiling" "on"
                    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "smart"
                    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
                    Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
                These settings are the settings that I think is the best for r200 and r500 mobility cards. MigrationHeuristics makes scrolling firefox smooth in my r200 card. IT also makes 2D wine apps run a lot smoother. In r500 it has only visible gains with wine apps.

                Page flip and color tiling should give maximum 3D performace. They should be enabled by default but were not in earlier version so I have them still in my configuration.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @Melcar

                  fglrx used 8x, radeon used 1x. At least the versions I tested - ok a few years ago.
                  AGP v3 cards run at 8x or 4x, and AGP v2 cards at 4x, 2x or 1x.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Yes Tormod, my card (9250) works with 8x by default and after 6.8 release, i don't have any problem.
                    Code:
                    [   54.612510] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
                    [   54.613322] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
                    [   54.614004] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
                    [   54.984980] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
                    [   54.984997] [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
                    Do you know what that AGP 3.5 means, i rarely seen this in other people dmesgs?
                    Last edited by dungeon; 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      AGP version 3.5 is only publicly mentioned by Microsoft under Universal Accelerated Graphics Port (UAGP), which specifies mandatory supports of extra registers once marked optional under AGP 3.0. Upgraded registers include PCISTS, CAPPTR, NCAPID, AGPSTAT, AGPCMD, NISTAT, NICMD. New required registers include APBASELO, APBASEHI, AGPCTRL, APSIZE, NEPG, GARTLO, GARTHI.
                      straight from wikipedia

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Xpress 200M is almost dead

                        Hello All,
                        My Xpress 200M is almost dead after I upgraded the system to Ubuntu 9.04.
                        sk@24shw3h:~$ glxgears
                        1256 frames in 5.0 seconds = 251.181 FPS
                        1224 frames in 5.0 seconds = 244.754 FPS
                        1673 frames in 5.0 seconds = 334.345 FPS
                        1610 frames in 5.0 seconds = 321.985 FPS
                        XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0" after 27001 requests (25548 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
                        I had above 1100 FPS in 8.10. I deleted the old xorg.conf - did not help. Then did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg - no improvements.
                        I do not see errors in Xorg.log. Everything is working (compiz, some games) but very slow.
                        I believe that something is wrong with the card detection:

                        radeontool --debug
                        [sudo] password for sk:
                        Found card 1002:5955 (30000)
                        (unknown card)
                        Radeon found. Base control address is b80b2000; base framebuffer address is a7f2d000.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by sergus View Post
                          Hello All,
                          My Xpress 200M is almost dead after I upgraded the system to Ubuntu 9.04.

                          I had above 1100 FPS in 8.10. I deleted the old xorg.conf - did not help. Then did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg - no improvements.
                          I do not see errors in Xorg.log. Everything is working (compiz, some games) but very slow.
                          I believe that something is wrong with the card detection:
                          Please file a bug report (the forum is not a bug tracker). The easiest way is to run "apport-cli -f -p xserver-xorg-video-ati" which will also attach the needed information to the report.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by tormod View Post
                            Please file a bug report (the forum is not a bug tracker). The easiest way is to run "apport-cli -f -p xserver-xorg-video-ati" which will also attach the needed information to the report.
                            tormod, thank you for the response. I will certainly file a bug report. The reason I posted here is that the problem might not necessary be related to Ubuntu only and the Phoronix forum has a very wide auditory, including the developers of OS ATI driver.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by sergus View Post
                              tormod, thank you for the response. I will certainly file a bug report. The reason I posted here is that the problem might not necessary be related to Ubuntu only and the Phoronix forum has a very wide auditory, including the developers of OS ATI driver.
                              No problem. It is just that Jaunty is now in beta freeze, and any regression like this should get on the radar as soon as possible. And we would like to see your logs etc. If it seems to not be Ubuntu specific we will for sure bug the developers

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X