Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 Driver With R600/700 Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Slower than ShadowFB

    Hi,

    I made small benchmark.

    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470

    http://www.santyago.pl/blog/read/xf8...-ati-6-12.html

    Now is slower than Shadowfb

    Comment


    • #32
      This is great news. How much of a difference does the EXA make in real apps though? Is 2D compositing usable with 6.12?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by charlie View Post
        Updated from linux kernel 2.6.28(too old) to kernel 2.6.30 (not out yet).

        drm-next is needed to compile xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 and can be obtained from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6 (http version http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...log;h=drm-next).

        drm-next is also in Zen-Sources kernel already (http://zen-sources.org/content/gitby-hand-based-setup).
        I used the r600-r700 branch on mesa/drm (that's the same), but Xorg hangs without telling me why! no sign at all in the logs about hangs!

        Comment


        • #34
          2D compositing seems to work pretty well with metacity, kwin etc..

          Comment


          • #35
            Now for this to hit the testing repositories (Arch).

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              2D compositing seems to work pretty well with metacity, kwin etc..
              That's good to hear.

              I was thinking of upgrading from my 9250 to a 780 IGP (probably) in the near future, but after a horrible experience with intel-2.6.1 I'm a bit more cautious about leaving that comfort zone where everything works perfectly...

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                I used the r600-r700 branch on mesa/drm (that's the same), but Xorg hangs without telling me why! no sign at all in the logs about hangs!
                I imagine the useful messages would be in the kernel log not the X log; is the system completely unresponsive or is it just X that's hanging ?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Santyago View Post
                  For those tests I would expect EXA to be slower than shadowfb, since they're all dealing with relatively small objects and shadowfb is hard to beat there. If you had tests dealing with large screen areas I think you would find EXA to be faster in some of those cases.

                  Gears numbers are higher with shadowfb because it's running entirely with software rendering, and the software renderer can draw much more quickly into the system-memory FB used by shadowfb than it can draw into video memory (with EXA the master copy of the screen is in video memory rather than system memory).

                  I haven't found any good benchmarks for the kind of UI activities where HW acceleration really helps (scrolling etc..), so it's kinda hard to show an improvement in a benchmark today. Generally, though, small things are faster with shadowfb and big things are faster with EXA.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 03-14-2009, 04:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Santyago View Post
                    Hi,

                    I made small benchmark.

                    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
                    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470

                    http://www.santyago.pl/blog/read/xf8...-ati-6-12.html

                    Now is slower than Shadowfb
                    Check your xorg log and make sure the dri and exa are actually enabled. You'll need an updated drm from either Dave's drm-next tree or the r6xx-r7xx-support branch of the drm tree on fdo.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      @agd5f: yes, I have enabled dri, exa and compiled drm r6xx-r7xx-support branch

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        For those who want a quick guide to compiling drm and using radeon 6.12:
                        http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon%3Ar6xx_r7xx_branch

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                          Are you running with the needed Kernel DRM stuff for R6xx/R7xx?
                          Yeah, I'm running the drm/radeon modules from the r6xx-r7xx-support branch

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Aphax View Post
                            Yeah, I'm running the drm/radeon modules from the r6xx-r7xx-support branch
                            Can one of your geniuses tell me what this means:

                            siggma@ubuntu:~$ git checkout -b r6xx-r7xx-support origin/r6xx-r7xx-support
                            fatal: Not a git repository

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by siggma View Post
                              Can one of your geniuses tell me what this means:

                              siggma@ubuntu:~$ git checkout -b r6xx-r7xx-support origin/r6xx-r7xx-support
                              fatal: Not a git repository

                              It means you're not in a git repository. Did you cd into the xf86-video-ati/ directory?
                              Michael Larabel
                              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                It means you're not in a git repository. Did you cd into the xf86-video-ati/ directory?
                                Duh..
                                I don't use git very often.
                                Last edited by siggma; 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X