Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
    You don't need EXAVsync for Xv vsync.

It works for me, with an x1600xt and the 6.9.1 RC driver (no tearing on Xv at all)

What media player are you using? Are you sure it's using Xv for video out? OpenGL still isn't vsynced.
    Are you using Jaunty Alpha 2 with the very latest packages?

Totem is my main player.

Compiz is on by the way and it gets some tearing (horizontal lines) when I zoom in/zoom out on a gnome-terminal window or move around nautilus.

yes, Totem is set to use Xv (as default)

Comment

Tear free won't work if you have Compiz running; it will just deliver tear-free video to Compiz then Compiz will copy it in a tear-y manner to the screen.

I am not aware of a tear-free solution for Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Tear free won't work if you have Compiz running; it will just deliver tear-free video to Compiz then Compiz will copy it in a tear-y manner to the screen.

I am not aware of a tear-free solution for Compiz.

Hum.. now I see.

So, GEM/DRI2 Won't actually solve this issue in the future?
        Last edited by hobbes; 01-02-2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          So, GEM/DRI2 Won't actually solve this issue in the future?
          Not really; DRI2 (actually RDR, built on DRI2) will help to solve the flicker problems when direct-rendering 3D apps run under Compiz, but flickering and tearing are two different problems.

What is really needed is for Compiz to synchronize *it's* drawing operations to vertical retrace (rather than the individual driver stacks like Xv) and for it to have a flow control mechanism to tell the individual apps when to start and stop drawing. My guess is that most of what is needed is in place but nobody is looking at the end-to-end solution.
          Last edited by bridgman; 01-03-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

My guess is that most of what is needed is in place but nobody is looking at the end-to-end solution.
            And it needs to be standardized across compositing managers. It would be horrible for Compiz and kwin to do it differently.

Comment

Not really; DRI2 (actually RDR, built on DRI2) will help to solve the flicker problems when direct-rendering 3D apps run under Compiz, but flickering and tearing are really two completely different problems.

What is really needed is for Compiz to synchronize *it's* drawing operations to vertical retrace (rather than the individual driver stacks like Xv) and for it to have a flow control mechanism to tell the individual apps when to start and stop drawing. My guess is that most of what is needed is in place but nobody is looking at the end-to-end solution.
              I just tested without using compiz and the video playback is AWESOME. Really AWESOME.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Oh man, I hope the compiz devs (anyone here?) get into it ASAP, because a tear-free experience running compiz is a MUST.

I can't live without compiz and switching on/off compiz is not a solution

Just visualize you or somebody else trying to explain that to all new users who tests Ubuntu every new release.

Think about them!

Comment

In the short term, *if* you are playing video full screen then the "don't redirect full screen windows" option in Compiz will help. It also relieves the heartbreak of flickering 3d (again, only when fullscreen) so is a Good Thing to turn on.

It's only a workaround, of course, but it's a lot easier to remind someone to "make it fullscreen" than to explain that they have to turn visual effects on and off.
                Last edited by bridgman; 01-03-2009, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Tear-free works good for me

x1650 with xorg 1.5.3/radeon 6.10 and all the trimmings. The video playback is nice, and so is 2D/3D. I don't use AIGLX or Composite, and all the VT switching etc is fine.

Relevant options in xorg.conf -

################################################## #

Section "ServerFlags"
                  Option "AIGLX" "off"
                  Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
                  Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
                  Option "AutoEnableDevices" "off"
                  EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                  Option "Composite" "disable"
                  EndSection

Section "Device"
                  Identifier "Videocard0"
                  Driver "radeon"
                  VendorName "ATI"
                  BoardName "ATI Radeon X1650"
                  Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
                  Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
                  Option "AccelDFS" "on"
                  Option "EXAVSync" "on"
                  EndSection

###############################################

Of course, all the children absolutely *need* compiz and fancy see-thru X terminals, but us old-timers are more than happy with the progress thus far. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                  X