No announcement yet.

Radeon Driver Gets Tear-Free X-Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct, although it shouldn't be too hard to port across to radeonhd. I believe Pierre was working with an r300 which is only supported by radeon.

Comment

ok so hd4xx0 are not supported by radeon driver ?

Comment

Blargh, latest radeon GIT snapshot re-introduced tearing for me .. Now I have a triangle in upper right corner which is out-of-sync and thus causes tearing pattern. It was fun while it lasted, back to OpenGL-output . For anyone else following the GIT-snapshots, here's the reason:
        http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...ab0c7c18327412

I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually.
        ATI X1400 mobile radeon, Ubuntu 8.10 x86.

Comment

Originally posted by mirak63 View Post
          ok so hd4xx0 are not supported by radeon driver ?
          Not for Xv.

Comment

There seems to be a regresion in latest svn code ...

With tormod package from 14 december I experience nice tear free video play ...
            However tormod update from 16 december re introduced tearing for me...
            I'm on rs690 kubuntu 64bit ...

Anyone can confirm this ?

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
              Anyone can confirm this ?
              That's what Řyvind said two comments ago, right?

BTW, the hex word after the date in my package version identifies the last git commit in that package, so please use that when referring to which packages you talk about. For instance, latest now is "2346fd7c".

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post

BTW, the hex word after the date in my package version identifies the last git commit in that package, so please use that when referring to which packages you talk about. For instance, latest now is "2346fd7c".
                I simply reverted commit f892154dbd0d8b6dd8abdf2196ab0c7c18327412 in my git-tree ("R3xx-R5xx: switch back to quad rendering for Xv"), and tear-free XVideo is back and working nicely on my ATI X1400. I'm not affected by the problem that this commit addresses, so I thought why not.

Comment

Right, that makes me look really stupid ... For the future I really shouldn't post after drinking alcohol.
                  As for hex word, sure I'll use it next time ...
                  Last edited by val-gaav; 12-21-2008, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                    Right, that makes me look really stupid ... For the future I really shouldn't post after drinking alcohol.
                    lol we got the issue confirmed at least I am pretty sure the developers will sort this out soon.

Comment

lol we got the issue confirmed at least I am pretty sure the developers will sort this out soon.
                      I'm seeing a commit with the comment "R3xx-R5xx: better fix for xv primitive tearing issues" from a few hours ago, so you might give it another shot now.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/

Comment

Latest radeon DDX driver toxic on Fedora 9!

Hi,

I have a Radeon 9550 card, and I thought I'd give the latest DDX driver a spin on my Fedora 9 machine (vanilla 2.6.27.10 kernel). The git log's last entry is:

Code:
                        commit c0c33dab44e6966b1702d4e8cfba3537fc6e2d5c
                        Author: Patrick Haller <patrick.haller@haller-consult.com>
                        Date:   Mon Dec 22 03:06:23 2008 -0500

Fix off by one in EXA composite limit checking

Patch from Patrick, with some updates from me:
                            - fix r200 limits
                            - note about r100 limits
                        However, as soon as I tried logging in, Xorg went into an endless spin-cycle with 100% usage of one CPU. I was eventually able to ssh in from a remote box and swap the driver back out again, but although I managed to "neutralize" the rogue process, I couldn't remove it from the process table completely without rebooting!

Am I missing a dependency somewhere? E.g. does the DDX driver in git need Fedora 10's version of Xorg?

Comment

Wow, I'm just extreamely happy! This brought some tears in my eyes.

Recently Debian moved this to the experimental repos and only now have I been able to fully test it.

It freaking does work!

Thank you, guys!!!
                          Last edited by sundown; 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                            Hi,

I have a Radeon 9550 card, and I thought I'd give the latest DDX driver a spin on my Fedora 9 machine (vanilla 2.6.27.10 kernel). The git log's last entry is:

Code:
                            commit c0c33dab44e6966b1702d4e8cfba3537fc6e2d5c
                            Author: Patrick Haller <patrick.haller@haller-consult.com>
                            Date:   Mon Dec 22 03:06:23 2008 -0500

Fix off by one in EXA composite limit checking

Patch from Patrick, with some updates from me:
                                - fix r200 limits
                                - note about r100 limits
                            However, as soon as I tried logging in, Xorg went into an endless spin-cycle with 100% usage of one CPU. I was eventually able to ssh in from a remote box and swap the driver back out again, but although I managed to "neutralize" the rogue process, I couldn't remove it from the process table completely without rebooting!

Am I missing a dependency somewhere? E.g. does the DDX driver in git need Fedora 10's version of Xorg?
                            Remove the EXAVSync option if you have it enabled in your config. It doesn't seem to work reliably on all r3xx cards at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
                              Wow, I'm just extreamely happy! This brought some tears in my eyes.

Recently Debian moved this to the experimental repos and only now have I been able to fully test it.

It freaking does work!

Thank you, guys!!!
                              I've just updated to very latest ubuntu jaunty packages and the problem (tearing) persists.

Code:
                              xserver-xorg-video-ati (1:6.9.0.91-1ubuntu1) jaunty; urgency=low

* Merge from debian experimental, remaining changes:
                                  - Add 104_use_exa.patch: Switches to EXA acceleration by default.

xserver-xorg-video-ati (1:6.9.0.91-1) experimental; urgency=low

* New upstream release candidate.

xserver-xorg-video-ati (1:6.9.0+git20081129.783cdb73-1) experimental; urgency=low

* Pull upstream snapshot, up to commit 783cdb73.
                                  + Add AGPMode quirk table, closes: #461144, #462590, #467460.

xserver-xorg-video-ati (1:6.9.0+git20081012.c0e6cb6d-1) experimental; urgency=low

* Pull upstream snapshot, up to commit c0e6cb6d, closes: 500903.

Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:27:30 +0200
                              Changed-By: Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton at ubuntu.com>
                              Maintainer: Ubuntu X-SWAT <ubuntu-x at lists.debian.org>
                              https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/1:6.9.0.91-1ubuntu1
                              Code:
                              $ egrep EXA* /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                              (**) RADEON(0): Option "EXAVSync" "1"
                              (==) RADEON(0): Using EXA acceleration architecture
                              (==) RADEON(0): Not using accelerated EXA DownloadFromScreen hook
                              (II) RADEON(0): Setting EXA maxPitchBytes
                              (II) RADEON(0): EXA VSync enabled
                              Code:
                              $ egrep "AGP 8x" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                              (**) RADEON(0): Using AGP 8x

(--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon X1600" (ChipID = 0x71c2)
                              My Hardware:

Sapphire AGP x1600pro 512MB

Apparently, we have the very same packages by now and no tear-free xv for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks For Reading.

Comment

You don't need EXAVsync for Xv vsync.

It works for me, with an x1600xt and the 6.9.1 RC driver (no tearing on Xv at all)

What media player are you using? Are you sure it's using Xv for video out? OpenGL still isn't vsynced.

Comment

Working...
                                X