NVIDIA 177.80 Display Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a real 32bits browser.

Anyway, flash9 works but it's damn slow.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      That's good to know...but another update could then make that support official for such cards. Doesn't hurt to try out the driver on a card such as the 9800GX2 as a poster above mentioned.
      The 9800GX2 is listed in the supported card list. It's the very fist listing in fact.

Supported Products List

GeForce Products:
      GeForce 9800 GX2
      0x0604
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

Comment

Originally posted by eL_vErDe View Post
        I use a real 32bits browser.

Anyway, flash9 works but it's damn slow.
        oops, my bad (note to self: read the words next time). Maybe you should consider using a 64bit firefox with nspluginwrapper and flash 10. It works quite well and even manages to mostly keep up to dvd res videos.

Comment

KDE4 is still slow for me... Scrolling playlist in Amarok 2 is painfully slow. Some 3D apps seems to be slower with present driver than with 169.xx. Only option for me is to change to AMD/Ati.

Comment

Buy ATI if you have now too few problems *hahaha*

Comment

>Buy ATI if you have now too few problems *hahaha*

I borrowed Ati card from my friend some time ago and didn't have problems with it. No matter - fglrx or open drivers it worked very well. My nvidia card is slow in KDE4 like a turtle, fonts are corrupted etc. etc....
              Last edited by kraftman; 10-12-2008, 09:58 AM.

Comment

That's good to know...but another update could then make that support official for such cards. Doesn't hurt to try out the driver on a card such as the 9800GX2 as a poster above mentioned.

Well it doesn`t matter is it amd or nvidia, they are folks too, it doesn`t make any less smart you to try e.x or something.., and hey they don`t figure absolutely 100% everything.

Comment

Is there a decent set of instructions anywhere on the web for installing this driver manually on Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
                    Is there a decent set of instructions anywhere on the web for installing this driver manually on Ubuntu?
                    Did you read the README?

Comment

@Porter

http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh

Just execute the script, it should work until you need one of the 2 oldest legacy drivers which do not work with U 8.10 as it uses xserver 1.5 - script has automatic card -> driver selection.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys... I also just realized that the repos for Ubuntu Intrepid have been updated with the 177.80 driver, so it's fully maintained now.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                          Did you read the README?
                          I did read the README... In my case I kept having trouble with the Nvidia script screaming about X running even though I was booting directly to a console. The driver's in the repos now though, so no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
                            I did read the README... In my case I kept having trouble with the Nvidia script screaming about X running even though I was booting directly to a console. The driver's in the repos now though, so no worries.
                            All you had to do is boot to runlevel 3 or invoke it by typing init 3 into your console.

Comment

@deanjo

thats the SuSE way (and would also work on Kanotix), but the default Debian/Ubuntu runlevels are the same from 2 to 5.

My script knows that and does not require to shutdown X, you should only to use a text console, like you get when you press CTRL+ALT+F1. It shuts down X using gdm/kdm/xdm - whatever it was used.

In the very rare case that it is impossible to get into a textconsole - maybe due to screen corruption, it is possible to disable the check and use nohup like:

sudo -i
                              DISPLAY= nohup sh install-nvidia-debian.sh

notice that there MUST be a space behind the =.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                                @deanjo

thats the SuSE way (and would also work on Kanotix), but the default Debian/Ubuntu runlevels are the same from 2 to 5.

My script knows that and does not require to shutdown X, you should only to use a text console, like you get when you press CTRL+ALT+F1. It shuts down X using gdm/kdm/xdm - whatever it was used.

In the very rare case that it is impossible to get into a textconsole - maybe due to screen corruption, it is possible to disable the check and use nohup like:

sudo -i
                                DISPLAY= nohup sh install-nvidia-debian.sh

notice that there MUST be a space behind the =.
                                Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X