Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 177.78 Beta Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA 177.78 Beta Linux Driver

The NVIDIA 177.76 Linux driver was released a week ago with a few changes from the earlier betas that made it out of NVIDIA's Santa Clara campus roughly a month ago. Now today NVIDIA has issued another Linux beta driver, which is at version 177.78. The only changes since the NVIDIA 177.76 release is fixing a performance regression within the GtkPerf GTK benchmark, using /sys/class/power_supply for determining the power-state within the driver, and fixing corruption when using SLI in SFR mode with OpenGL-based composite managers. The change-log and download links can be found within the NvNews forums...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njc0OQ

Compiz and GTK fixes. Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      Compiz and GTK fixes. Awesome
      Does it finally fix poor 2D performance on KDE4 with GeForce 8xxx/9xxx ?

Comment

Originally posted by eL_vErDe View Post
        Does it finally fix poor 2D performance on KDE4 with GeForce 8xxx/9xxx ?
        I doubt it and don't expect any major improvements before 180.xx series.

Comment

It may, because last driver release (177.76) they mentioned Xrender improvements, but they were not noticeable because of a regression on that driver, which is now gone.

I will test KDE 4 now (currently on Gnome)

EDIT: Doesn't seem much faster on KDE4. Not slow at all, but not 100% smooth. But I've never had too many problems with KDE4, and I don't use it much anyway, so I probably wouldn't notice the problems so much. But I can say that gnome is 100% smooth and KDE4 isn't.
          Last edited by Xanikseo; 09-27-2008, 08:18 AM.

Comment

No idea, I don't use kde4 at all.

Comment

Some of the new KDE4 performance fixes in 177.67-177.78 are off by default. An nVidia dev posted at nvnews to explain how to enable them for better KDE4 performance:
              http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088

Comment

177.78 doesn't fix much, it does seem rather smooth as it was before... but with the 177 series of patches it seems like it's just not smooth enough.

Comment

Working...
                X