Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 177.67 Display Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA 177.67 Display Driver

It has been a few weeks since NVIDIA last pushed out a Linux display driver update, but this morning already they have pushed out a new update. The just-released NVIDIA 177.67 display driver doesn't introduce OpenGL 3.0 support or any other major features, but it does look to resolve a number of bugs, provide improvements to the Render extension, add official support to the GeForce GTX 260/280 graphics cards, and a number of other improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: NVIDIA 177.67 Display Driver

It has been a few weeks since NVIDIA last pushed out a Linux display driver update, but this morning already they have pushed out a new update. The just-released NVIDIA 177.67 display driver doesn't introduce OpenGL 3.0 support or any other major features, but it does look to resolve a number of bugs, provide improvements to the Render extension, add official support to the GeForce GTX 260/280 graphics cards, and a number of other improvements.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12758
    Seems that it's only a betarelease?

From http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
    Linux 32-bit Display Driver Version 177.67 BETA 177.67 August 19, 2008

Comment

It shows beta, but it works

Comment

Does it finally solve the numerous problems it had with KDE 4? This is long overdue.

Comment

@Phoronix
          For please repeat your benchmarks with InitialPixmapPlacement set to 2 (its needed for this changed to be in effect) enabling GlyphCache might also be worth a try.

I cannot test because on my G70 based cards there are no perfomance problems.

Comment

The article really gives the impression that this isn't a beta-release, but it looks like that to me ..
            Last edited by oyvind; 19 August 2008, 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
              Does it finally solve the numerous problems it had with KDE 4? This is long overdue.
              I have tried and it unfortunately does not solve anything. I would even say it is worse than before. NVidia is brillantly convincing me never to buy one of their products again, ever.

Comment

There is no real improvements on my 7600GT.
                Some webpages were slow as hell in FF3 and opera, this seems to be fixed, but nothing else. KDE4 is still dog slow in some cases.
                Setting IPP to 2 improves some things, but other gets worse - like minimizing last visible windows takes up to 10! seconds, also kwin seems to be hanging.

Sigh

Comment

As a gnome user, I want to see better KDE4 support so I have more choice.

Hopefully it's coming soon.

Comment

Nice 2D performance improvements

I've got a GF8600GT, and 2D has so far been OK, but not great. I'm using standard Gnome/Ubuntu Hardy.

By following this guide:

and installing the latest nvidia BETA driver, I'm seeing some amazing 2D performance improvements and haven't noticed any problems yet. Cool !

Comment

Working...
                    X