No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver Is Moving Closer With Kernel Mode-Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that people overestimates AMD video cards performance, and if the performance is bad, they blame it to the drivers instead of the video card...

Comment

I guess he thinking about independant recent contributions to the r128 ddx driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And probably asks himself: why someone else did that, but not amd? Just guessin
      Last edited by dungeon; 23 May 2015, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Guess why they haven't finished those drivers: because the cards are as old as the millennium.
        I would agree if drivers for newer cards would be in a better shape. However, there isn't a single AMD card with a proper linux driver. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I guess he thinking about independant recent contributions to the r128 ddx driver. And probably asks himself: why someone else did that, but not amd? Just guessin
          Ahh... 17 year old cards. Yeah, I think it's safe to say we have stopped adding features for those.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          I would agree if drivers for newer cards would be in a better shape. However, there isn't a single AMD card with a proper linux driver. At all.
          Yeah, it's the same for all the vendors unfortunately. Intel only has GL 3.3, NVidia only has OpenCL 1.2 vs 2.0 for AMD, and we only have GL 4.4 instead of NVidia's GL 4.5 at the moment.
          Last edited by bridgman; 23 May 2015, 08:39 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            It seems that people overestimates AMD video cards performance, and if the performance is bad, they blame it to the drivers instead of the video card...
            You are absolutely wrong. AMD users, like myself, can compare Windows and Linux performance, for one. Not to mention that the 290x I have is pretty much equal to a 970 (does little worse on 1080p and a little better at 4K) and the two cards performance in Linux is miles apart. So yeah - people have every right to be angry.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              OpenCL 2.0 for AMD, and we only have GL 4.4
              And it works great, yeah?

Cool story.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Yeah, it's the same for all the vendors unfortunately. Intel only has GL 3.3, NVidia only has OpenCL 1.2 vs 2.0 for AMD, and we only have GL 4.4 instead of NVidia's GL 4.5 at the moment.
                Proper = no need for developers to run half the software with software rendering (look at Firefox etc.), game code doesn't have to disable half the non-working (but advertised) extensions etc. There wasn't a single driver release for 6 months while Bioshock Infinite is broken and stuff like that.

No need for auto self defense, you aren't AMD drivers.

Comment

There wasn't a single driver release for 6 months while Bioshock Infinite is broken and stuff like that.
                  Those eON wrapped games only perform fine under nvidia variabile which are in every script of those games, so there is nearly nothing what fglrx driver can do to perform the same. That is out of specs (even for nvidia is not default) single vendor variabile which works only with nvidia driver.

So you can't say fglrx driver is quilty in that case (nor to expect amd will somehow fix that), but those game porters are lazy because they just add nvidia variabile for those games... which is easy for them, it is good for nvidia driver users... but it can't be every other driver is quilty because they doing that

Comment

No need for auto self defense, you aren't AMD drivers.
                    Actually I am again -- as of a few months ago I'm officially split 50/50 between HSA and Linux GFX drivers, although it's still more like 80/20 at the moment.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 23 May 2015, 10:03 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Bridgman, are there any plans to pour some real love into fglrx?...it really needs it. As you've seen in past benchmarks, many OpenGL 4 games seem to hit a driver bottleneck and get FPS capped even upto R9 290.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-preview&num=3

Then there is things like "GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc" broken on Terascale class GPUs that would be nice to get fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X