Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 173.14.05 Display Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA 173.14.05 Display Driver

NVIDIA's last Linux display driver release was just shy of two months ago when they had unveiled the 173.08 Beta driver with compatibility for the GeForce 9800 series and other new GeForce 9 parts. Prior to the 173.08 release was version 171.06, which was another beta release, and the last official release being NVIDIA 169.12 from February. NVIDIA this morning has released the 173.14.05 driver, which marks the return to their old naming convention, but it doesn't bring many changes compared to the recent beta releases and just a regurgitated release announcement.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12408

Does anyone know if the 2D performance problems from earlier releases were fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The NVIDIA 173.14.05 does ship with "out of the box" support for the Linux 2.6.25 kernel and preliminary support for X.Org 7.4 / X Server 1.5. For those using a Linux 2.6.26-rc kernel, the NVIDIA 173.14.05 driver needs to be patched manually.
      Ok, so now it's current kernel ready but next kernel broken? AGAIN???

Now it's starting to look like the Linux kernel devs are actively working to break it, and that would be Very Uncool. Also, when Nvidia breaks, VMware follows. I don't like having those two broken, they are *very* important to the way things get done here. If I have to choose between an older kernel or broken Nvidia/VMware, it's going to be older kernel 10 times out of 10.

Not Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        Does anyone know if the 2D performance problems from earlier releases were fixed?
        Nope, they weren't. Default settings are usable, but that's it. It's basically the same as with the last beta release.

Comment

Well the patch can be found in the release thread, not really hard...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113919

Comment

Looks like it broke my EDID detection or somethings on my Ubuntu 8.04 installation.

Comment

I hate them and their driver, but on my G80 nouveau isn't there yet (I won't comment on the pathetic joke that is nv).

Comment

I still get bad frame rates with this compared to 171.06 according to glxgears on my 8600gts. It's 13,500 vs 10,000 FPS. I wonder which I'll go for...

Comment

I wait enough!

New release without 2d performance gain for 8xxx series...

THAT'S ENOUGH!!! I waited since oct2007 to get the real deal... my old MX440 work better that my 8600 card...

Now i'm going to drill a hole in it to make sure no one can use this #$%!%# card again and I'm going to buy ATI card.

Comment

Strange driver:
                    "X Server Display Configuration" does not work on NVIDIA X Server Settings.
                    glxgears is about 15000+ FPS, on 169.12 is 21300+ FPS !

Comment

Same as Murphy, and on the desktop, I only ever bought NVidia following 3DFX's demise (and I didn't even abandon them during the FX series ...) I'll be buying ATI for a while (with no second though, as the upcoming GTX series seems way to extreme for me anyway), and the reason why is just sad. Oh well ...

Comment

People.....

GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK!!!

It can be used to verify that hardware-accelerated libraries are installed correctly, but that's about it.

You want to benchmark it, then use realworld benchmarks. I recently read about a site that happens to be doing a benchmark suite for linux. If I could only find a link to that site.......

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                          Strange driver:
                          "X Server Display Configuration" does not work on NVIDIA X Server Settings.
                          This is what I meant.

glxgears is about 15000+ FPS, on 169.12 is 21300+ FPS !
                          I get around 13000 with this version on a 7800 GTX

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                            People.....

GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK!!!

It can be used to verify that hardware-accelerated libraries are installed correctly, but that's about it.

You want to benchmark it, then use realworld benchmarks. I recently read about a site that happens to be doing a benchmark suite for linux. If I could only find a link to that site.......
                            To be honest, as a programmer, I expext that if a code is better than other, it works faster (in this context). So, yes, glxgears may not be a benchmark and just tries to render three meshed gears but, if the code accelerating it better, it'll yield better frame rates...

To be more specific, I understand that glxgears just renders 3 objects and a light and uses most basic properties of openGL but this means that glxgears shows the foundation's speed. So if the code yields more frame rates it means most important part of the code, the foundation, has got better. Latest drivers may have more optimized shader compilers or more efficient power management or some nasty memory optimizations and work 3-5 FPS faster in games or whatever...

This optimizations are useless after some point since the foundation is slower and this is the point. I vote for a completely-better driver. Not a optimized here but broke there code mess.

Comment

Originally posted by murphy666 View Post
                              New release without 2d performance gain for 8xxx series...

THAT'S ENOUGH!!! I waited since oct2007 to get the real deal... my old MX440 work better that my 8600 card...

Now i'm going to drill a hole in it to make sure no one can use this #$%!%# card again and I'm going to buy ATI card.
                              Having just upgraded my laptop with and ATI card to a Nvidia card this kind of funny to read.

Before you do anything rash with your hardware have a read of the ATI forum here on Phoronix and notice that others are pulling their hair out over various issues and threatening to burn their ATI and switch to a nvidia.

Be well aware that both binary drivers have their issues, sometimes major showstoppers depending on your hardware. Both open source efforts (RadeonHD, Noveau) are a little way off completion, although hopefully closing in on "good enough" status rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                              X