No announcement yet.

Nvidia image quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible that the card has so much information being processed that my CPU is the bottle neck at 1440 x 900? I don't exactly know how it works, but I thought that generally the higher the resolution, the more the video card is working and the less the CPU is. By the way, it's an E6600 Core 2, so it's not exactly underpowered.....

Thoughts?

Comment

Well I have a hard time thinking it is the card, since this is arguably in the top two or three graphics cards performance wise. If you really want to get into troubleshooting your setup I'm all for it, just give us all the hardware/software details on your system.

Comment

I don't think the card itself is bad or even that the 8800 series sucks. Far from it - This is a great card for someone who has a large monitor. I'm tired of always having to buy bigger and better stuff because of one component I get. In this case, keeping the 8800GTS would pretty much require me to get a larger monitor. At the same time, my Logitech speakers just crapped out. So maybe I'm crazy, but I've got a buyer for my card. I'm going back to ATI/AMD with a X1950XT 256 - Pretty much what I had before. I'll also order new speakers at the same time.

Anyways guys, thanks for the suggestions and support, in particular to Joshua. In the end though, I just didn't feel it with Nvidia cards....I'll jump trough the hoops with ATI/AMD cards and wait happily for the AIGLX support.

Comment

I've said it before, but up until this last purchase I was totally for ATI even at the expense of quality at times. ATI (or AMD I guess) is a great company, and they make good cards, and I never thought I would be on a forum talking with someone about why they should keep their Nvidia card . What made me switch was simple: the Linux support is far better at this point with Nvidia than ATI. I'm sure ATI will get there though. Watch AMD help their new ATI brand support Linux much better than ATI ever did by themselves... I wouldn't be surprised considering I just decided to switch for the time being .

Comment

And I am open to changing my mind later on. I'm just not really wanting to purchase a new monitor right now. Let's face it, this card's potential is wasted at 1440 x 900. I fired up CS:S and it was ridiculously fast...Almost too fast to play. I never thought I would be trading in a better card for the second best, but here I am.....

As I said, thanks again for the help and suggestions...The Phoronix community is great!

Comment

I just helped someone yesterday setup a 8800GTX with the 1.0-9746 display drivers. Below are his initial thoughts.

I got 95FPS on doom3 demo with 8xAA 1600X1200 ultra quality. I think there is more left. The temps stay below 62DC.
              This was with a water-cooled BFG 8800GTX.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope I didn't give the wrong idea about the 8800 series cards (or even Nvidia). I simply feel that for my setup running a 19" WS LCD, it isn't going to utilize this card's potential at all...Quite the opposite - I found it to be a problem. If you have a larger monitor or even dual-head setup, I'm confident that it is phenomenal.

Comment

Heh...and I'm just the opposite, I can't get enough computing power! I load my PC with so many things at once (I'm a heavy multi-tasker) that the PC usually begins slowing down (it gets "choppy") within a few minutes of those apps loading. When I was on Winbloze, I'd routinely crash any PC I could get my hands on within an hour, but GNU/Linux seems to take on the abuse much better. Things can get *very* slow sometimes, but the O.S. never freezes, crashes or restarts by itself.

Comment

I hear ya - I have computing power, just not as much GPU power. My rig is an E6600 Core 2 @ 2.87ghz. I've had it to 3.6 on air. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by afterburntdw View Post
                      My rig is an E6600 Core 2 @ 2.87ghz. I've had it to 3.6 on air. I love it!

What heatsink are you using?
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X