Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 173.08 Linux Display Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA 173.08 Linux Display Driver

    Phoronix: NVIDIA 173.08 Linux Display Driver

    Last week it was exclusively reported by Phoronix that a new NVIDIA binary Linux display driver should be out in the next week, and sure enough we were right, again. The NVIDIA 173.08 Linux driver was released last night and features support for several new NVIDIA GPUs, including the GeForce 9800 series, experimental support for X Server 1.5, and a number of fixes with Linux 2.6.25 kernel compatibility.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12188

  • #2
    Looking at the gotcha list that I'll run into when I update to Fedora 9 in a few weeks, I am now convinced this closed source driver is beyond lame. When the time is right, I will replace my 8600 GTS with an ATI card (most likely a 3870), there's no way I can keep on dealing with this madness.

    Comment


    • #3
      yet another boring release

      I am still waiting for decent 2d support on my 8600m which is still rubbish. So much for investing in a decent gpu:

      http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/a...-graphics-card

      seeing that old crappy intel gpu's do the basics properly thats probably what I'll get, that or an ati card

      Comment


      • #4
        remm: Most users would switch to nvidia from ati, but maybe you are more lucky

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kano View Post
          remm: Most users would switch to nvidia from ati, but maybe you are more lucky
          If you are happy about the Linux software and consideration Nvidia gives you, feel free to buy or continue buying

          That's not my situation, I find Nvidia's driver to be buggy, unstable, and annoying to use, so hopefully you won't mind if I walk.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm still wating for my 8600gt to support the same TVout features my 6600gt did. The TVOverScan option does aboslutely nothing with my 8600gt, and the overscan is WAY off the edges.

            mostly @ remm:
            I bought an HD3650 to replace my 8600gt but fglrx 8.3 seems to love completely crashing my computer (I need to try it with 2gb/ram instead of 4, but taking out memory to use a video card is not high on my list of acceptable solutions). fglrx may not be a whole lot better than Nvidia's blob, depending on your setup. When I've been able to get it working 2d performance (dragging a window) is appallingly slow. I'm patiently waiting for radeonHD to progress a bit more, and fglrx 8.4.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by remm View Post
              If you are happy about the Linux software and consideration Nvidia gives you, feel free to buy or continue buying

              That's not my situation, I find Nvidia's driver to be buggy, unstable, and annoying to use, so hopefully you won't mind if I walk.
              Buggy and unstable... I find that my personal experience is largely OPPOSITE of that right at the moment- but then I'm not trying to do SVGA out and a whole host of other things that are problematic all over the place. Now, having said this, I've found AMD's offerings to be quite a bit closer to that reality than I care to use them with. Things like not being able to play video playback without doing goofy things on a regular monitor aren't exactly bug-free and are much more screwed up than SVGA out, especially in this day and age of HDTV monitors being as cheap as regular TV's and whatnot...

              Now, I don't like the fact that it's proprietary- but AMD's stuff still isn't there yet for most people and actually DOES seem to be buggy, unstable, and annoying to use. Until AMD gets it's act together or Intel delivers a decently performing device, NVidia's about the only game currently in town for most situations in 3D. If you don't like that, bug the crap out of AMD to get their drivers shored up or lend a hand or get someone else to do it on the FOSS drivers for their parts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Buggy and unstable... I find that my personal experience is largely OPPOSITE of that right at the moment- but then I'm not trying to do SVGA out and a whole host of other things that are problematic all over the place. Now, having said this, I've found AMD's offerings to be quite a bit closer to that reality than I care to use them with. Things like not being able to play video playback without doing goofy things on a regular monitor aren't exactly bug-free and are much more screwed up than SVGA out, especially in this day and age of HDTV monitors being as cheap as regular TV's and whatnot...

                Now, I don't like the fact that it's proprietary- but AMD's stuff still isn't there yet for most people and actually DOES seem to be buggy, unstable, and annoying to use. Until AMD gets it's act together or Intel delivers a decently performing device, NVidia's about the only game currently in town for most situations in 3D. If you don't like that, bug the crap out of AMD to get their drivers shored up or lend a hand or get someone else to do it on the FOSS drivers for their parts.
                Amen Brother. You've pretty much summed up the experiences I've had concerning the state of video drivers in linux.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi ALL,

                  What is the Perfomance speed, with Linux+3D with the new driver?

                  With older drivers:
                  Wine+COD4=25FPS (640x480) AA=off
                  Vista+COD4= 80FPS (800x600) AA=2x

                  My graphics card:
                  8600M GT

                  Linux runs as if it were a TNT2!!! (With older drivers)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by osmanovic100 View Post
                    Hi ALL,

                    What is the Perfomance speed, with Linux+3D with the new driver?

                    With older drivers:
                    Wine+COD4=25FPS (640x480) AA=off
                    Vista+COD4= 80FPS (800x600) AA=2x

                    My graphics card:
                    8600M GT

                    Linux runs as if it were a TNT2!!! (With older drivers)
                    that isnt exactly a fair thing to say.. while nvidias drivers may not be as fast under linux(i really dont know, i think they pretty much are), you arent doing a fair comparisin..
                    let me put it another way:

                    quake4 linux binaries on linux, max detail 1600x1200: probably 20-40 atleast fps or something, i do not know
                    quake4 linux binaries on windows, xp and vista, worst resolution, worst details: 0fps!

                    xp and vista runs as though they dont have a graphics card!! they run as though.. wait.. it doesent even run at all..

                    now see what kind of comparisin this is. its an unfair one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by osmanovic100 View Post
                      Hi ALL,

                      What is the Perfomance speed, with Linux+3D with the new driver?

                      With older drivers:
                      Wine+COD4=25FPS (640x480) AA=off
                      Vista+COD4= 80FPS (800x600) AA=2x


                      Linux runs as if it were a TNT2!!! (With older drivers)
                      It's not fair to expect wine to run games at framerates comparable to windowd. you have to remember that it is a compatibility layer, as a result framerates for any game will be about half of those from within windows.

                      You're way off base if you expect a tnt2 to run cod4, or just about anything in this day and age.

                      but to answer your question, I've generally found that this driver is slower than the preceeding drivers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by osmanovic100 View Post
                        Hi ALL,

                        What is the Perfomance speed, with Linux+3D with the new driver?

                        With older drivers:
                        Wine+COD4=25FPS (640x480) AA=off
                        Vista+COD4= 80FPS (800x600) AA=2x

                        My graphics card:
                        8600M GT

                        Linux runs as if it were a TNT2!!! (With older drivers)
                        Considering that this has NOTHING to do with your drivers...

                        You're using WINE on a DirectX 9c title.

                        You're emulating the Windows XP environment when you're doing that- which almost always translates into slower runtimes. In this case, the DX9 layer's still not fully gelled in WINE, let alone optimized.

                        If you were talking an OpenGL title, while it won't be as fast as a native port of a given game, it will be typically faster than Vista will run the title. If it's a native port, done correctly, it'll run as fast as XP and in many cases, slightly faster.

                        Don't be blaming drivers for this. Don't be blaming the hardware vendors for this. Don't be blaming WINE for this. Until they get the DirectX9c layer better done, you're just not going to see good framerates on Call of Duty 4 unless they offer an OpenGL renderer on Windows for you- and it's not the WINE team's fault it doesn't run well for you as they only recently got the support working at all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                          It's not fair to expect wine to run games at framerates comparable to windowd. you have to remember that it is a compatibility layer, as a result framerates for any game will be about half of those from within windows.
                          This varies from title to title, actually. Some applications run faster than Windows runs them. Not games, mind, but others would be a differing story. If you're talking a DirectX8/9 title, it's going to be about half or a third the speed of Vista on a bad day (all of them??). If you're talking an OpenGL title, it's closer to only about 1/3-1/4 as slow at worst.

                          You're way off base if you expect a tnt2 to run cod4, or just about anything in this day and age.
                          Heh... I think the implication was that it was as slow as a TNT renders the games it CAN display for when compared to the card he's got.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                            I am still waiting for decent 2d support on my 8600m which is still rubbish. So much for investing in a decent gpu:

                            http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/a...-graphics-card

                            seeing that old crappy intel gpu's do the basics properly thats probably what I'll get, that or an ati card
                            By the by... The poor 2D rendering may well be due to design issues with the display adapter on your machine.

                            I'm not seeing issues with any G60. G70, or G80 parts with 2D rendering yet- this includes mobile parts.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                              This varies from title to title, actually. Some applications run faster than Windows runs them. Not games, mind, but others would be a differing story. If you're talking a DirectX8/9 title, it's going to be about half or a third the speed of Vista on a bad day (all of them??). If you're talking an OpenGL title, it's closer to only about 1/3-1/4 as slow at worst.



                              Heh... I think the implication was that it was as slow as a TNT renders the games it CAN display for when compared to the card he's got.
                              actually, stuff like world of warcraft runs smoother in wine with opengl mode, than on winblows xp.. atleast with nvidia

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X