Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

    Along a similar theme to Rich Geldreich's recent post on A Game Developer's Perspective On Linux Driver Quality, here are some OpenGL sample tests of OpenGL 3.2 through OpenGL 4.4 with many different graphics drivers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4ODk

  • #2
    Inserting anecdote #14687.6:

    Just today I received a report that GL_POINTS are broken on Intel on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Mesa 9.2.1, no idea what Intel chip). Likely fixed in more recent mesa, but it was rather surprising that such basic functionality could have been broken in a mere year-old release.

    Comment


    • #3
      I always like to hear developers give their point of view. Better then having people on forums talk about Hearsay.

      Comment


      • #4
        So, we've for a bit of a problem here.
        The valve guy said that the windows Intel folks didn't do a great job but, according to this, up to about 4.1, they did better than anyone eider in matching the spec.
        BTW, is the 3.2 spec particularly poor? I'm not sure why else none of the vendors passed all of the tests.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by liam View Post
          So, we've for a bit of a problem here.
          The valve guy said that the windows Intel folks didn't do a great job but, according to this, up to about 4.1, they did better than anyone eider in matching the spec.
          I'm pretty sure he said they didnt do a good job with 4+ but were good with 3.x

          I definitely need to study more the Mesa implementation and I actually have a strong desire to build my own from source and maybe implement some stuff for fun if I manage to find the time.
          That sounds promising :-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tarceri View Post
            I'm pretty sure he said they didnt do a good job with 4+ but were good with 3.x
            That's kind of my point. This latest graph shows Intel performing the best of any vendor up to 4.1. After than they plummet. What's interesting is that they look to be more compliant with 3.2, in particular than the others.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by liam View Post
              That's kind of my point. This latest graph shows Intel performing the best of any vendor up to 4.1. After than they plummet. What's interesting is that they look to be more compliant with 3.2, in particular than the others.
              Well its probably wise not to rely to heavily on this graph while its interesting as far as I understand it the samples are far from a compliance suite. You would get a better picture running piglit and producing a graph from those results. Unfortunatly piglit doesnt run on Windows just yet but I believe this is one of the Google Summer of Code projects.

              Edit: Although running piglit is not perfect either since it lacks tests for many of the newer extensions. I guess my point is while the suite gives a small snapshot of the current situation it doesnt give a complete picture.
              Last edited by tarceri; 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                I always like to hear developers give their point of view. Better then having people on forums talk about Hearsay.
                You mean better than keyboard warrior fanboys that spread their dribble like it's gospel. Yes me too.

                It's like car enthusiasts who speak crap about their car(s) and then there is this normal driver who totally kicks everyone... Same thing to me.

                Which is why I don't understand why Linus says "F you" to nvidia considering how well they deliver, albeit a binary blob.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                  You mean better than keyboard warrior fanboys that spread their dribble like it's gospel. Yes me too.

                  It's like car enthusiasts who speak crap about their car(s) and then there is this normal driver who totally kicks everyone... Same thing to me.

                  Which is why I don't understand why Linus says "F you" to nvidia considering how well they deliver, albeit a binary blob.
                  The "F you" was about their support for hybrid graphics switching rather than about the driver being a binary blob.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                    Which is why I don't understand why Linus says "F you" to nvidia considering how well they deliver, albeit a binary blob.
                    No documentation and a binary driver. That should be very obvious.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      I always like to hear developers give their point of view. Better then having people on forums talk about Hearsay.
                      It turns into unwarranted hate too often; see the A bad workman always blames his tools. proverb.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The KEY takeaway from this "article" (aka JOKE) is "NVIDIA's binary driver is the clear winner".
                        In other words, this is all pointless, comes to invalid/incorrect/meaningless conclusions, and as usual, both NVIDIA *and* PHORONIX are the clear LOSERS.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                          The KEY takeaway from this "article" (aka JOKE) is "NVIDIA's binary driver is the clear winner".
                          In other words, this is all pointless, comes to invalid/incorrect/meaningless conclusions, and as usual, both NVIDIA *and* PHORONIX are the clear LOSERS.
                          What's your problem? The topic of the article is "NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support". You might not like it, but it is what it is. The only vendor providing fast and stable OpenGL 4.4 support is Nvidia.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                            No documentation and a binary driver. That should be very obvious.
                            It's still a pretty damn good binary driver. If nVidia did supply documentation, then AMD would be left in the dark. I guess a better wayland driver would be in the pipeline too.

                            If AMD wants to show nVidia up, they should help Wayland development.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                              I guess a better wayland driver would be in the pipeline too. If AMD wants to show nVidia up, they should help Wayland development.
                              Do you mean by working on the open source drivers which support Wayland/Weston today, or by actually working on Wayland ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X