Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Reiterates That It's Working On Wayland Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Sometimes it feels like NVidia is taking the freedesktop developers hostage.
    They [NVidia] act confident as they know the open-source guys have to cooperate
    at some point otherwise there will be no or no best-as-possible support of the latest stuff.
    Be it Wayland or DMA-BUF Prime stuff for Optimus, etc.
    And they can do so because as of now there's no competetive open NVidia driver
    and there are lots of system out based on NVidia ASICs.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels just like that.

    Comment


    • #17
      I like that NVidia is working on Wayland already. I'm sure they are happy that the mess that is X.org will disappear. However, I hope they don't think that the FOSS community will cater to their proprietary needs.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        I like that NVidia is working on Wayland already. I'm sure they are happy that the mess that is X.org will disappear. However, I hope they don't think that the FOSS community will cater to their proprietary needs.
        it's not about catering to their needs its about working with them to better Linux support

        Comment


        • #19
          so much haters

          nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

          with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

            with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd
            We are not hating on their driver, we are hating on their attitude. They can't come and complain when they're working behind closed doors.

            Comment


            • #21
              i agree

              Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              We are not hating on their driver, we are hating on their attitude. They can't come and complain when they're working behind closed doors.
              i agree

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

                with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd
                Since when is the Intel not as good as the Nvidia driver? Any "not good performance" comes from Intel graphics themselves being blah, not the driver.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

                  with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd
                  That's not what I'm experiencing. With the blob I have massive tearing everywhere, and nothing at all changes it. With nouveau everything is fine.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Since when is the Intel not as good as the Nvidia driver? Any "not good performance" comes from Intel graphics themselves being blah, not the driver.


                    Aggregate normalized result from the recent Iris 5100 win vs lin bench.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Just fyi the following was posted on the reddit thread [1], thought people here would find it interesting.

                      My employer, Red Hat, has been in close talks with NVIDIA with Wayland, and this has been brewing for a while. It's not really a secret or anything what's going on, and since Wayland has wanted to support NVIDIA, it's better they tell us now rather than in six months.

                      James Jones, Aaron Plattner, and the rest of the team at NVIDIA have actually been very friendly and open. We want to make sure our approach works with them, and I think everybody is happy with the relationship here.

                      We put together a fast plan to make Xwayland work in the short-term (we're going to support a loadable "DDX" like wf86-video-nvidia), and we're going to see if we can solve the issues that mean they have to have a DDX to bring up GLX direct rendering: it's actually backwards-compatibility for stuff that's broken by the FOSS stack. They're going to see if they can open up some of their internal testcases and tell us what backcompat behaviors they need to support, and we're going to see if we can modify the FOSS stack so these benefits are available for everyone.

                      And then we can build a new system that handles all of that into Xorg and Xwayland, and synchronziation in their DDX can just vanish and go away.
                      [1] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...yland_support/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                        Just fyi the following was posted on the reddit thread [1], thought people here would find it interesting.



                        [1] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...yland_support/
                        Jup so much for "*mimimimi* NVIDIA does stuff behind closed doors in isolation and expects others to adapt to them"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                          The discussion followed on irc (#xorg-devel), and it appeared the problem was Nvidia wanted to support very old applications doing strange things with GLX.
                          The conclusion was that it was possible to support DRI3 such a way that these apps would still work, and that Nvidia would return with more
                          propositions for Xwayland later.

                          We also talked about Wayland implementation and how they would use their EGLStreams to support the Wayland protocol,
                          we talked about optimus support and a common configuration file to tell the gpu we want some apps to use.

                          Nothing official for sure, but be sure that things are beeing worked on.
                          Don't have much to add, just wanted to thank you for adding important and relevant info to the thread which I think is getting a little too carried away.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                            Jup so much for "*mimimimi* NVIDIA does stuff behind closed doors in isolation and expects others to adapt to them"
                            Actually it is a good example of additional work caused by working behind closed doors or more precisely of working in secret.

                            If they had at least communicated their needs then changes elsewhere could have taken that into account.

                            But they did not, requiring an interims solution to be developed (not by them of course), and later thrown away.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                              Actually it is a good example of additional work caused by working behind closed doors or more precisely of working in secret.

                              If they had at least communicated their needs then changes elsewhere could have taken that into account.

                              But they did not, requiring an interims solution to be developed (not by them of course), and later thrown away.
                              This.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                                Just fyi the following was posted on the reddit thread [1], thought people here would find it interesting.



                                [1] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...yland_support/
                                "wf86-video-nvidia" is an awful name. It should be "xwayland-video-nvidia" or such.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X