NVIDIA Outs New 334 Linux Driver With New Features, Fixes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    It's probably not the only thing, but a standard interface for modesetting is needed. Weston uses KMS. Don't know what KDE and Gnome use, probably KMS too. Nvidia wants to have some sort of modesetting API in EGL. Until there's a standard, every compositor would need to explicitly target Nvidia's modesetting in addition to KMS. Not very elegant.

As I said last time when someone asked this, native Optimus support will not be possible until Nvidia finishes their vendor-neutral opengl library. This library will allow having multiple opengl stacks simultaneously. Right now this is not possible, all you have right now is putting the different stacks in non-standard locations and then playing with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD or similar hacks. Not very elegant.

Why they don't open their complete driver sources? Is not a proprietary software or os, it's just a driver. If their brains aren't smart enough to make their hardware properly work just release the drivers' sources the community does it their own without reverse engendering the official driver. It's not a strategic object, it's not kinda atom launcher specifications it's just a video card driver

Comment

Originally posted by _artem_ View Post
      Why they don't open their complete driver sources?
      Even if they could (there's probably NDAs and other assorted agreements, patents and just plain 3rd party code to which Nvidia doesn't own the copyright in the way), how would that help? It's still a different opengl stack that would clash with mesa.

And having the code wouldn't help nouveau devs very much, because the nvidia driver is a big giant mess of application and game specific micro-optimizations and other assorted micro-optimizations, making it impenetrable. Saying "it's just a video card driver" is some serious underestimating of how complex today's GPUs and their drivers are.

Also this appeal to the almighty community that will suddenly appear once code and/or docs get released doesn't work nowadays anymore. For example, look at how incomplete the Ironlake driver is (the pre-gen6 section at the bottom): http://wiki.freedesktop.org/dri/I965Todo/. And that's despite a fully open source driver and full docs being available.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        Even if they could (there's probably NDAs and other assorted agreements, patents and just plain 3rd party code to which Nvidia doesn't own the copyright in the way), how would that help? It's still a different opengl stack that would clash with mesa.

And having the code wouldn't help nouveau devs very much, because the nvidia driver is a big giant mess of application and game specific micro-optimizations and other assorted micro-optimizations, making it impenetrable. Saying "it's just a video card driver" is some serious underestimating of how complex today's GPUs and their drivers are.

Also this appeal to the almighty community that will suddenly appear once code and/or docs get released doesn't work nowadays anymore. For example, look at how incomplete the Ironlake driver is (the pre-gen6 section at the bottom): http://wiki.freedesktop.org/dri/I965Todo/. And that's despite a fully open source driver and full docs being available.
        What he said, plus GPUs are patent minefields.

Comment

I know EGL support was added to 64-bit Linux. Does that mean that EGL is now used by default or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Comment

On my case this drivers works good with wine

support of vdpau feature set E is interesting

Courtesy Wikipedia

Feature Set E

Similar to feature set D but added support for decoding H.264 with a resolution of up to 4096 4096 and MPEG-1/MPEG-2 with a resolution of up to 4080 4080 pixels. GPUs with VDPAU feature set E support an enhanced error concealment mode which provides more robust error handling when decoding corrupted video streams.

Comment

I would like to see benchmarks of this vs the 331.
              also anyone got this working on ubuntu 14.04?
              i tryed installing it manualy and it dosent work -.-
              when it reaches lightdm to login it just goes into a blackscreen with a " - ".

Comment

when it reaches lightdm to login it just goes into a blackscreen with a " - ".
                Then the driver is not propper installed.
                Btw, linux writes nice logfiles, so you should have a look into them.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
                  Then the driver is not propper installed.
                  Btw, linux writes nice logfiles, so you should have a look into them.
                  ive opened a request to add it to the repos:
                  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1287753

i have no clue on how to manualy install it or even where to find the logfiles.
                  everytime i try to install a driver manualy and i get "distribution-provided pre-install script failed" i never get it to work :P
                  when that dosent show up it usualy works, so im probably missing something the script would do for me.

What i do:
                  go into tty2 and login
                  sudo stop lightdm
                  run the ".run" file
                  sudo nvidia-xconfig
                  sudo restart

Comment

Thanks for the explainations about waylind.

Comment

Will it compile (without patching) and work on kernels 3.13 ?
                      for a number of releases of nvidia driver, they have not actually compiled against vanilla kernel

Comment

334.21 supports kernel 3.13, no patching needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                          Will it compile (without patching) and work on kernels 3.13 ?
                          for a number of releases of nvidia driver, they have not actually compiled against vanilla kernel
                          it does, but theres a annoying bug right now with the UI flashing when moving the mouse.
                          it seems to be something realted to The GL_EXT_x11_sync_object extension.
                          i have reported it and hopefully they will fix it.
                          bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1288747

Meanwhile i wouldnt recommend installing it unless you dont mind the UI flashing or if you only use it for fullscreen gamming since it bypass compiz.

Comment

I do not see any flashing here.

Comment

This is Assassins Creed Brotherhood with wine 1.7.13 with 334.16

Comment

And now with same wine 1.7.13 but with nvidia 334.21

Comment

Working...
                                X