Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 331.38 Linux Driver Brings Many Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA 331.38 Linux Driver Brings Many Changes

    Phoronix: NVIDIA 331.38 Linux Driver Brings Many Changes

    It's been a while since the last official mainline NVIDIA Linux graphics update, but that changed this morning with the debut of the exciting NVIDIA 331.38 Linux GPU driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2OTU

  • #2
    Hopefully this release fixes the problem that has been crashing Firefox that many are reporting from recent past versions.

    Error to fix;
    Code:
    GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
    Happens when Firefox opens up dialogue boxes and other window gnome containers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Xorg ABI 15? Or need I still stay with the legacy driver 319?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dragonn View Post
        Xorg ABI 15? Or need I still stay with the legacy driver 319?
        YES!! Exactly what dragonn said. This has been a real headache that is holding me back from doing lots of upgrades due to the X.org incompatibility and the fact that a whole bunch of dependent packages can't be upgraded until the driver works with the new ABI.

        Comment


        • #5
          "Added NV-CONTROL attributes to control the brightness of the illuminated logos on certain graphics boards."

          ^^ Holy shiznit, that's like the most important thing evaa!!

          Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          Hopefully this release fixes the problem that has been crashing Firefox that many are reporting from recent past versions.

          Error to fix;
          Code:
          GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
          Happens when Firefox opens up dialogue boxes and other window gnome containers.
          I get that message all the time, and yet no crashes. The message is unrelated to the crash you're experiencing. And I don't think it actually has anything to do with graphics.

          Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          YES!! Exactly what dragonn said. This has been a real headache that is holding me back from doing lots of upgrades due to the X.org incompatibility and the fact that a whole bunch of dependent packages can't be upgraded until the driver works with the new ABI.
          Just install 319.82? Also, the only packages that depend on Xorg ABI are video and input drivers. So I'd be interested which packages beyond xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-synaptics you're unable to upgrade.


          Anyway, has someone actually tried this with xorg-server 1.15 to make sure it really doesn't work? The changelog doesn't mention anything regarding it, but I'd find it extremely weird for Nvidia to release a new driver without support for it.
          Last edited by Gusar; 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I bought a GTX 660 card two days ago and indeed Firefox crashed twice in a row the first time I booted after installing the card and the nvidia blob (331.20), for no apparent reason. It hasnít crashed sinceÖ

            Also concerned about the lack of Xorg 1.15 support in the announcement; I know itís currently waiting in the Arch Linux [testing] repository, so it shouldnít be long until it appears for all users.

            (Apart from that Iíve had no problem with the card, works great .)

            Comment


            • #7
              Hmm, yea, I had a lot of Firefox crashes on FF 26. I ended up downgrading to FF 25 to avoid them. If this update fixes it, it would be nice to know so I could upgrade back.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                Xorg ABI 15? Or need I still stay with the legacy driver 319?
                http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...uirements.html
                X.Org** 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, 1.14, 1.15 Xorg -version
                Unless it's not lazy copy-paste from 319.82 readme, it should support xorg 1.15.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Just install 319.82? Also, the only packages that depend on Xorg ABI are video and input drivers. So I'd be interested which packages beyond xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-synaptics you're unable to upgrade.
                  Oh, it's more complicated than that. I'm on Arch linux where the maintainers recently decided to upgrade libgcrypt to a new version that is incompatible with older versions of libgcrypt. Libgcrypt is a dependency for x.org but also for a crapton of other packages including systemd and the gpgme package that is used by pacman (the package manager) to verify the authenticity of downloaded packages.

                  Package dependencies get a LOT more complicated than they appear on the surface. Basically I can't upgrade anything until Nvidia gets the 331 drivers sorted out, and it appears that they have done so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just recompile whatever xorg-server you're using against the new libgcrypt. Or compile it against openssl, that's possible too. Then everything tied to the new libgcrypt can be updated.

                    No complications whatsoever.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is going to fix my L4D2 problems. I just know it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                        Just recompile whatever xorg-server you're using against the new libgcrypt. Or compile it against openssl, that's possible too. Then everything tied to the new libgcrypt can be updated.

                        No complications whatsoever.

                        LMAO... maybe when I was back in college and had time for that. I have a real job now though. I used Gentoo back in the day before it was even cool, but life goes on and maintaining separate out-of-tree packages with a million dependencies that are outside of my control isn't my idea of a fun time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At simple seek seem equal in wine with test drive unlimited 2



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                            LMAO... maybe when I was back in college and had time for that. I have a real job now though. I used Gentoo back in the day before it was even cool, but life goes on and maintaining separate out-of-tree packages with a million dependencies that are outside of my control isn't my idea of a fun time.
                            I have just puts the new and old gcrypt lib into /usr/lib/. So I have now libgcrypt.so.11 libgcrypt.so.20, Xorg 15 and pacman, gpg everything runs fine. A temp solutions but doesn't make any problems.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                              LMAO... maybe when I was back in college and had time for that. I have a real job now though. I used Gentoo back in the day before it was even cool, but life goes on and maintaining separate out-of-tree packages with a million dependencies that are outside of my control isn't my idea of a fun time.
                              What million dependencies? You need to recompile one package. I get having priorities other than playing around with such stuff, but you're making a big deal out of something that's not complicated at all and blowing things out of proportion. And you do have a little time, otherwise you wouldn't be using Arch in the first place, and you wouldn't be hanging around at this forum.

                              Anyway, I just saw the Arch devs have moved xorg-server-1.15 from [testing] into [extra], so all this discussion is moot. nvidia-utils-331.38 is part of the move as well, I don't think they'd do this if it didn't work. So... cool

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X