Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Okay I got really drunk and had crap for sleep but at what settings was heaven run at? Ultra? Those results look weird.
    All the info and steps to reproduce can be found via the phoronix test suite and openbenchmarking.org
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.
      Never had that problem in two years. :P Arch maintainers know what they are doing.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        All the info and steps to reproduce can be found via the phoronix test suite and openbenchmarking.org
        http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect...d9f26ac8e4fd34

        ... Let me guess, I need to load the profile in PTS to find out? Anyhow thank for the work Michael but the reason I ask is my 7870 runs circles around the 7850 in your test (ultra full 1080p), i can't imagine it being 2.5x as powerful? Lol with my crap llano processor. Either that or the AMD drivers really are hit and miss and i have been lucky as hell.

        Comment


        • #19
          At the time of writing, the GeForce GTX 780 Ti is retailing for just over $500 USD while the GeForce GTX TITAN is still command a one thousand dollar price tag.
          Wow, where can I buy a GTX 780 Ti for $500 USD??
          Non Ti can he had for $500 easily. The cheapest Ti on Newegg and Amazon starts at $699.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            I'll believe you have. My experience was different (Ivy Bridge laptop at home and nvidia GTX 460 at work) , but it's all anecdotal either way. I've found the nvidia blob to be stable, but I dread kernel upgrades.

            I just don't think that Intel FLOSS drivers have grave reliability issues.
            nVidia has a pretty good track record of supporting finalized kernels. I can't blame them for not issuing a new driver with every development kernel revision. Even then I find that even upgrading the nvidia driver is a lot simpler then installing the latest and greatest intel driver if it is not prepackaged.

            Comment


            • #21
              Can't wait to get an nVidia based Steam Machine to replace my PS3.

              Comment


              • #22
                Nothing wrong with open source games, try 0ad

                Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Have fun with super tux cart.
                I've enjoyed 0ad, another open source game for about a year now. Yes, I could pay for similar pay games if I wanted to deal with DRM, make a steam account, and run closed binaries. The only advantage would be (maybe) a multithreaded game engine on the CPU side, which is a big deal in RTS games. I would rather let the game slow down when there are 600+ fighters on screen than pay for closed development.

                What do you have against Super Tux Cart anyway? Not all games were written for people with expensive systems and long hours to kill.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Open games and open drivers do go great together

                  Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  What do you have against Super Tux Cart anyway? Not all games were written for people with expensive systems and long hours to kill.
                  One more point: I've had GREAT results with the open Radeon driver on an HD 6750. It can play 1080p video in VDPAU, even if I pull it out of Bulldozer and drop it in a Pentium 4. Power management as same as AMD's blob, recently opened and working fine. Will display anything the CPU can send to it in 0ad, pull up to 90fps in Scorched3d's lightest maps, down to about 30 on the heaviest with many trees. Was able to play those games even back in Summer 2012. As of now, even Nouveau on a GTS450, running without the newly-released power management, has risen from 11 fps to about 30 on Scorched 3d. Parity with Radeon expected as PM code matures.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Wake me when Intel GPU are good for serious 3D work and gaming.
                    I've been playing WoW, Rogue Legacy, Crusder Kings, TF2, and Dota2 just fine at 1080p with an hd4600 between 40 and 60 fps. Just can't turn on shadows or AA.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      It can play 1080p video in VDPAU, even if I pull it out of Bulldozer and drop it in a Pentium 4.
                      An nvidia card can do it with a PII or Atom BTW ;D.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                        Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.
                        Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Which Nvidia cards are you using?

                          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                          An nvidia card can do it with a PII or Atom BTW ;D.
                          With VDPAU on either brand, the GPU plays the video and the CPU need only feed it the file, thus allowing older machines to be made capable of playing any video with just a graphics card change. Even Flash can be made to use VDPAU, though it does not be default in Linux.

                          For a Pentium II, however,. you will need a card which is compatable with an early version of AGP and yet has an H264 capable video decoding bloc, else a PCI card and enough CPU let over to handle the copying overhead for X with a video playing.,

                          What exactly did you use in your Pentium II test? With Atom I assume you mean nettop boards with a PCI-e slot, these are like Pentium 4s so far as video playback is concerned, though much slower to edit it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Luke View Post
                            With VDPAU on either brand, the GPU plays the video and the CPU need only feed it the file, thus allowing older machines to be made capable of playing any video with just a graphics card change. Even Flash can be made to use VDPAU, though it does not be default in Linux.

                            For a Pentium II, however,. you will need a card which is compatable with an early version of AGP and yet has an H264 capable video decoding bloc, else a PCI card and enough CPU let over to handle the copying overhead for X with a video playing.,

                            What exactly did you use in your Pentium II test? With Atom I assume you mean nettop boards with a PCI-e slot, these are like Pentium 4s so far as video playback is concerned, though much slower to edit it.
                            I've ran VDPAU on a 8400GS PCI card on a PII. As far as the atom goes, no I was talking about the nVidia ION based atom boards which are still popular in the XBMC crowd.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                              Never had that problem in two years. :P Arch maintainers know what they are doing.
                              That's because pingufunkybeat got the problem wrong. You need the same version of gcc that the distribution used to compile the kernel, not the one nvidia used to compile the driver.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                                Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.
                                What's wrong with Debian?

                                Or are you one of those Ubuntards who started using Linux 3 weeks ago and haven't heard of Debian because it doesn't show up on your Software Center?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X