Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

    Phoronix: NVIDIA, Mentor Graphics May Harm GCC

    Yesterday there was news that OpenACC 2.0 parallel programming support was coming to GCC complete with GPU acceleration support for NVIDIA GPUs. While it was exciting on the surface, it appears that this work may be poisonous and could have a very tough time making it upstream...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxNjM

  • #2
    Linus doing his thing to Nvidia is, once again, relevant.

    Comment


    • #3
      Uhh oh. Just days after NVIDIA sends Michael a few thousand bucks worth of high-end GPUs, already he's sailing them down the river with this kind of FUD.

      I can't even tell what, exactly, has this "trusted contact"'s panties all bunched up.


      And the comment about Nouveau was especially amusing. Who would use that driver for OpenACC and CUDA work? Who thinks this stuff up?

      Comment


      • #4
        RMS: nVidia puts its hands on gcc? nVidia ...

        p.s. it's not photoshop.... it's mspaint

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Uhh oh. Just days after NVIDIA sends Michael a few thousand bucks worth of high-end GPUs, already he's sailing them down the river with this kind of FUD.
          You sound disappointed he didn't understand your "present" was a bribe!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            You sound disappointed he didn't understand your "present" was a bribe!!
            If it was legitimate criticism you would have a point. This is just "let's try to stir a shitstorm."

            It reminds me of that one story everyone runs around and loves to quote, about how NVIDIA lost a big deal in China and AMD won it because they have open drivers... and yet there isn't a single shred of factual evidence to actually support the story. (Like, maybe, an AMD SEC filing indicating massive income?)

            Comment


            • #7
              Reminds me of this anonymous leak.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, it was a mistake to send any hardware to a shameless Michael Larabel, he repays in kind by backstabbing Nvidia with lies from "trusted source". BULLSHIT. Michael Larabel, please return all of Nvidia's GeForce 700 cards, you don't deserve to test or benchmark them, period.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I can't even tell what, exactly, has this "trusted contact"'s panties all bunched up.
                  I know you are just trying to troll as per usual but I will answer as if you were making a serious comment. It's pretty clear from the post that the worry is gcc will be relying an underlying proprietary closed source system which gcc has no control over. This type of arrangement pretty much always ends up screwing over the open system sometime in the future, undocumented futures, unfixable bugs, totally dropping the assembly language from the binary driver in favour of some new wizz bad thing are just some things that pop to mind that could be a concern to gcc relying on this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                    Well, it was a mistake to send any hardware to a shameless Michael Larabel, he repays in kind by backstabbing Nvidia with lies from "trusted source". BULLSHIT. Michael Larabel, please return all of Nvidia's GeForce 700 cards, you don't deserve to test or benchmark them, period.
                    So do you have a source that this is not true? I'm assuming it should be pretty easy to confirm.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X