Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    He is correct. Until nvidia starts developing SLi profiles for the linux ported games you won't see much if any boost in performance. Often it even ends up being slower then just the single card.
    There's only one sli profile for nvidia which is the gldoom3 one. It supports, doom3, quake IV, Quake wars, Serious Sam3.

Comment

Great News that Nvidia is supporting Linux even more. I am about to purchase 2 high end video cards and with this more information, I might be leaning more to Nvidia as they are supporting Linux more.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        I will never understand why AMD doesn't send samples too
        Maybe because their proprietary linux driver sucks so much that they fear bad publicity
        That last benchmarked showed the opposite: AMD's proprietary Linux driver massively outperformed NVIDIA's binary blobs in TF2. Considering Valve is supposed to be closely working with NVIDIA engineers with porting the source engine and optimizing OpenGL, something sounds amiss here.

Comment

Good job Nvidia, now some documentation please!

Comment

Yes!

I've been looking to buy a new graphics card for some time. I've traditionally only bought NVIDIA, but with the price differences, latest review of the AMD cards and the progress being made on open source ATI drivers I had started to go down the AMD path. Now with this information perhaps I can justify sticking with NVIDIA.

NVIDIA... how about just open sourcing your driver? That would fix pretty much everything, you'd get easy access to all kernel GPL symbols and contributions for supporting wayland, mir, etc. much faster than trying to do it all yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
              NVIDIA... how about just open sourcing your driver? That would fix pretty much everything, you'd get easy access to all kernel GPL symbols and contributions for supporting wayland, mir, etc. much faster than trying to do it all yourself!
              Wouldn't that mean having to use gallium or mesa, which means their OpenGL would suddenly start to suck and there wouldn't be any OpenGL 4.4 anymore? I doubt that NVIDIA could just dump their code into mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Wouldn't that mean having to use gallium or mesa, which means their OpenGL would suddenly start to suck and there wouldn't be any OpenGL 4.4 anymore? I doubt that NVIDIA could just dump their code into mesa.
                Not if they released it under a GPL compatible license, then Linux gets an OpenGL 4.4 implementation. Not sure about gallium but they could maintain a separate graphics stack.

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
                  They cannot do it due to intellectual property stuff and patents...

The best thing they can do is focus on Nouveau the most they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    They cannot do it due to intellectual property stuff and patents...

The best thing they can do is focus on Nouveau the most they can.
                    Yes, I've heard that before. I'm not sure the patents thing is an issue. IIRC you can have a patent with the implementation being open source. What is the issue I believe is that they don't actually own all of the IP so they would have to convince their partners to open source it or allow it to be open sourced.... but a guy can wish.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      That last benchmarked showed the opposite: AMD's proprietary Linux driver massively outperformed NVIDIA's binary blobs in TF2. Considering Valve is supposed to be closely working with NVIDIA engineers with porting the source engine and optimizing OpenGL, something sounds amiss here.
                      Stop playing simple games and start playing something more demanding: you will see a completely different world
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X