Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 On Linux

    Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 On Linux

    If you are after a low-end graphics card for use on Linux, up for review today is the Zotac GeForce GT 610 Synergy 1GB graphics card that sells for less than $50 USD. The results in this Linux hardware review compare the GT 610 to a range of other AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards using the proprietary drivers under Ubuntu Linux. Even if you're not interested in the GT 610, this article makes for a nice 12-way Linux graphics card comparison with the very latest AMD/NVIDIA GPU drivers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19330

  • #2
    could you make a driver comparison? like, study how linux driver performance has evolved in the past year(but instead of doing it mesa, doing it binary?)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      could you make a driver comparison? like, study how linux driver performance has evolved in the past year(but instead of doing it mesa, doing it binary?)
      I do every December/January... see the "Year in Review" articles on Phoronix that have been going on now for like the past 7 or more years.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Evga version of 610 is even cheaper on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130815

        Comment


        • #5
          I recommend minimum, the nvidia gt620 for an htcp, the gt610 is a completely waste of money.

          Comment


          • #6
            Why does gt 620 list lower specs for memory and GPU frequencies than 610?

            http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications
            http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks like 620 has twice as much Cuda cores as 610.

              Comment


              • #8
                About 9 months back we joined the 21st century and bought a flat-panel TV, replacing our still-functioning (and alas still stored in the basement) CRT. I've been running MythTV for years using a (2nd generation) 8400GS, and the VGA-out would have worked with this TV. But I had problems funnelling all of my audio sources into the TV, because there weren't enough audio jacks to match the video jacks.

                So I have a GT610-based video card and send audio over hdmi. I'm using the binary blob. I've never done anything remotely like gaming with it, just watch TV, and it's got vdpau with the binary blob, so all is OK.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  I recommend minimum, the nvidia gt620 for an htcp, the gt610 is a completely waste of money.
                  Can you explain why? I'm currently running a fanless GT210 in my HTPC which is a much weaker card and it works great.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The GT 630 for like $10 or $15 more is better option IMO.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JoseJX View Post
                      Can you explain why? I'm currently running a fanless GT210 in my HTPC which is a much weaker card and it works great.
                      I tried the 610 with linux and windows, and my experience was not good, the video playback wasn't totally fluent and the unity/gnome shell, wasn't good, ( asus gt 610 ddr3). With windows, mpc media player wans't fluent if I used madr for anime. After I buyed a gt630 and the things changed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by madjr View Post
                        The GT 630 for like $10 or $15 more is better option IMO.
                        It's probably also more power hungry and / or noisy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am still unconvinced about the usefulness of a low-end dedicated graphics card like the GT610 when the onboard graphics on AMD's APUs and Intel's CPUs have reached a point where they are good enough for low-end gaming and still consume lesser power.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                            It's probably also more power hungry and / or noisy.
                            This is possible but on GT630 (fermi 40nm (96 shaders) based around 50w) on my case i have zotac geforce GT630 (Kepler (384 shaders) GK208 28nm) zone edition passive, this card consume 25w but GT610 (GT 520 (Fermi 40nm) Renamed) consume 30w

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                              I am still unconvinced about the usefulness of a low-end dedicated graphics card like the GT610 when the onboard graphics on AMD's APUs and Intel's CPUs have reached a point where they are good enough for low-end gaming and still consume lesser power.
                              People buy these cards because most of the integrated graphics doesnít support 2560x1600 or 2560 1440 resolution. I donít think any intel cpu supports dual link. For amd, their apus support it, but motherboard also needs to support it to work. I would never buy this card as I can just pay little bit more to get much better card (performance wise), but some people just want their displays to show stuff. They donít care about how much fps they can get in the game.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X