Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Dropping 32-bit Linux Support For CUDA

Phoronix: NVIDIA Dropping 32-bit Linux Support For CUDA

If you are reliant upon NVIDIA's CUDA computing parallel computing platform, hopefully you're running 64-bit Linux. NVIDIA announced their plans on Friday to deprecate the 32-bit Linux x86 CUDA Toolkit and the 32-bit Linux CUDA driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwODg

Don't care about their CUDA, but using a 32 bit OS for this is (almost?) always stupid so what they're doing makes sense.

Comment

I'm fine with them dropping 32 bit, because I'd really like to know who is dumb enough to *need* CUDA on a 32 bit (x86) system. But remove x86-64 as well? What's nvidia smoking? Linux is known for it's server tasks and CUDA makes excellent server software. Unless nvidia is losing to openCL, I see no gain in them ditching 64 bit CUDA support.

What really surprises me is how nvidia hasn't made an ARM server platform with PCI-e 16x lanes. I'm not sure how much CPU overhead goes into CUDA servers but I would assume an ARM CPU (with a passive heatsink) could get the job done just as well as an x86. With nvidia making the entire system themselves, that can save them a lot of money rather than supporting their rivals.

Comment

They are dropping all compute support for x86 32bit:
        NVIDIA support for developing and running 32-bit Linux-x86 CUDA and OpenCL applications is deprecated

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm fine with them dropping 32 bit, because I'd really like to know who is dumb enough to *need* CUDA on a 32 bit (x86) system. But remove x86-64 as well? What's nvidia smoking?
          You misunderstood. They're not removing 64-bit support. They simply might not bundle the CUDA driver together with the graphics driver anymore. Might be a different download in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            You misunderstood. They're not removing 64-bit support. They simply might not bundle the CUDA driver together with the graphics driver anymore. Might be a different download in the future.
            Ah ok. That's not so bad then. In fact, I think I'd prefer that (if I had a GPU worth doing CUDA on anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              What really surprises me is how nvidia hasn't made an ARM server platform with PCI-e 16x lanes. I'm not sure how much CPU overhead goes into CUDA servers but I would assume an ARM CPU (with a passive heatsink) could get the job done just as well as an x86. With nvidia making the entire system themselves, that can save them a lot of money rather than supporting their rivals.
              They're working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                They are dropping all compute support for x86 32bit:
                All? Including compute shaders?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  All? Including compute shaders?
                  I guess it depends on whether you see opengl compute shaders as equivalent to opencl/cuda.

Comment

If you are trying to use 32bit for high-performance computing in the first place you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X