No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Releases Major Linux Driver With New Features, EGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think I will buy AMD hardware next... (I'm in the Intel camp right now...)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      From Aaron Plattner:

That's a bit of a whoops.
      It only affects two methods though and one of them is an extension. It is not something that prevents EGL on 64bit in generel.

Comment

Good for my old system. Completely irrelevant for my new FX-8350 system as I'm waiting to buy the R9-280/R-290 series ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
          I still think I will buy AMD hardware next... (I'm in the Intel camp right now...)

You have my sympathy, not rage.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
            "You are comparing apples to oranges, my friend. Comparing EGL to GLX makes sense"
            i did just that lol...
            i asked if egl works better then glx even on xorg
            lol. Misread that comment. Sorry about that...

As far as this driver (331.13) I'm now running the x86_64 version of it ~ which IS available on their website (directly from the Article's link, although i used my own script to grab it)... So yes, there is a 64bit version, as a matter of fact and the EGL support (according to nvidia's website) is 32bit only, for now. (as i said).

As far as this driver, i haven't noticed any regressions - but did already notice an improvement, in my own usage; I use a winelib application, where it sockets/xembeds in the VST plugin interfaces (into a gtk window). Some VSTs can resize (via their own resize-handle, wine-side vs. using the parent window's handle, gtk-side) - this can be slow / choppy. (especially, since Wine doesn't implement all of the XEmbed specification, so there are hacks to work around things)... However, with this newest driver - it does seem to be much smoother.

generally, it seems to be a bit snappier too.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
              lol. Misread that comment. Sorry about that...

As far as this driver (331.13) I'm now running the x86_64 version of it ~ which IS available on their website (directly from the Article's link, although i used my own script to grab it)... So yes, there is a 64bit version, as a matter of fact and the EGL support (according to nvidia's website) is 32bit only, for now. (as i said).

As far as this driver, i haven't noticed any regressions - but did already notice an improvement, in my own usage; I use a winelib application, where it sockets/xembeds in the VST plugin interfaces (into a gtk window). Some VSTs can resize (via their own resize-handle, wine-side vs. using the parent window's handle, gtk-side) - this can be slow / choppy. (especially, since Wine doesn't implement all of the XEmbed specification, so there are hacks to work around things)... However, with this newest driver - it does seem to be much smoother.

generally, it seems to be a bit snappier too.
              glad to hear!
              now if only they realy a 64 bit of that egl and support newer kernels, i will be happy

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
                glad to hear!
                now if only they realy a 64 bit of that egl and support newer kernels, i will be happy
                EGL will come in time, the fact that they have a public release at all, is great

as far as "newer kernels", this driver can be patched for 3.11 just fine ...anything beyond that you can't really expect nvidia to support. after all, kernel 3.12 isn't released and obviously nvidia aren't going to be basing their driver releases on (kernel) code pulled from git branches (like -tip) or anything silly like that...

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                  EGL will come in time, the fact that they have a public release at all, is great

as far as "newer kernels", this driver can be patched for 3.11 just fine ...anything beyond that you can't really expect nvidia to support. after all, kernel 3.12 isn't released and obviously nvidia aren't going to be basing their driver releases on (kernel) code pulled from git branches (like -tip) or anything silly like that...
                  lets not forget backports to LTS kernels

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    From Aaron Plattner:

That's a bit of a whoops.

Has anybody tried to use this feature for anything interesting?
                    In this case, I fail to see how anyone can support EGL in 64bit... (Unless I didn't get the point...)

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      lets not forget backports to LTS kernels
                      lol. Please elaborate - Which LTS kernel do you think this latest nvidia driver needs to be "backported" too?

AFAICT, it already supports any of the 3.x LTS kernels. (3.10.x being the latest LTS, as well)

Comment

Working...
                      X