NVIDIA Brings Their Linux Driver To ARM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    ? AMD sold off that IP to Qualcomm some time ago and have washed their hands of it. Congrats to Qualcomm for doing something with it.

Besides... my point was that AMD kinda views Linux as that red-headed bastard step-child that they like to pretend doesn't exist. So it would be kind of disappointing if they ended up in the Steam Box.

And my point about the consoles was that AMD is probably not going to make a lot of buck off those deals. We'll know for sure as time goes on and the numbers get listed in the SEC filings... but these things generally don't yield big profits for the CPU maker.
    I guess it depends on how you define "a lot". From what I've heard the xbox deal is worth 3bn and I guess the ps4 will be in the same range.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      I guess it depends on how you define "a lot". From what I've heard the xbox deal is worth 3bn and I guess the ps4 will be in the same range.
      Profit or revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        Wow! The console market is worthless?! Someone should tell Microsoft and Sony!
        Well, to be fair, it's standard practice to sell the console hardware at a loss at the beginning of a generation. Sony and MS make their real money from the licensing fees game publishers pay them to release games on their systems.

Later on as the hardware gets cheaper, they can start selling it in the black, but the goal is always to ship as much hardware as possible to increase those software fees, not to make money on the hardware itself.

That said, obviously AMD wouldn't have taken the contracts if they didn't think they were going to make money on the deals. It remains to be seen exactly how things will go.

Comment

Working...
        X