Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA To License Its Kepler GPU Technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA To License Its Kepler GPU Technology

    Phoronix: NVIDIA To License Its Kepler GPU Technology

    As a hopeful blow against imagination Technologies and their licensing of the PowerVR SGX graphics IP across the ARM SoC industry, NVIDIA has announced they too will get into the graphics IP licensing game. NVIDIA will begin licensing its "Kepler" graphics technology for in use by tablets, smart-phones, and other new form-factors...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5MTU

  • #2
    I hope ARM get their shit together, and start supporting FOSS driver, so they can have actually competitive advantage over nvidia.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, from the half-empty perspective, it seems almost like NVIDIA clutching at straws. Lost the 360 and now the PS4, a shrinking desktop market doesn't help either, and then there are also this APUs. Quite interesting times ahead.

      Comment


      • #4
        That was my initial reaction as well... though, ironically, their stock is up pretty big today, so I guess investors saw it as good news.

        Comment


        • #5
          I read that the boss, JHH, has sold a lot of stock. Bad omen.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That was my initial reaction as well... though, ironically, their stock is up pretty big today, so I guess investors saw it as good news.
            They "lost" the PS4 and the Xbox because they didn't want to meet MS and Sony's requirements on design, performance and price.

            Nvidia does have a chance though to supplant Qualcomm though as the new "go-to" ARM GPU vendor...which would definitely help to recoup the "loss" from the Xbox and PS4 deals.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              They "lost" the PS4 and the Xbox because they didn't want to meet MS and Sony's requirements on design, performance and price.

              Nvidia does have a chance though to supplant Qualcomm though as the new "go-to" ARM GPU vendor...which would definitely help to recoup the "loss" from the Xbox and PS4 deals.
              The exact reasons are irrelevant. They've lost two very high volume deals in succession. We are talking about ~100 million units per console generation...

              The question is how much they are going to ask for now and whether anyone will be willing to pay it. There is quite some more concurrence in the mobile market.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by log0 View Post
                Wow, from the half-empty perspective, it seems almost like NVIDIA clutching at straws. Lost the 360 and now the PS4, a shrinking desktop market doesn't help either, and then there are also this APUs. Quite interesting times ahead.
                Then why can't they start supporting the Nouveau devs and do AMD even one better by having expert devs providing basic programming info for their cards (of course excluding any 3rd party IP) as well as being active in Nouveau development? This way they can have a quality FOSS driver that can surely compete with AMD

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Then why can't they start supporting the Nouveau devs and do AMD even one better by having expert devs providing basic programming info for their cards (of course excluding any 3rd party IP) as well as being active in Nouveau development? This way they can have a quality FOSS driver that can surely compete with AMD
                  Just curious, how would that be better than what we are doing ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Just curious, how would that be better than what we are doing ?
                    I believe his point was that it would benefit everyone if we had quality OSS drivers for every major GPU design. Not necessarily that nVidia doing the same thing would be "better", but rather that it would be good for everyone.

                    EDIT: I guess in other words, in the same way as it was good for AMD GPU users to get a high quality OSS driver, it would also be good for nVidia GPU users to get a high quality OSS driver. Along with Intel GPU's that covers the vast majority of existing hardware. That would in fact be better I suppose.... Not better than what you are doing, but better overall.
                    Last edited by duby229; 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Can't argue with that, but I was wondering about :

                      and do AMD even one better

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, I don't know. I can't say that nVidia producing an OSS driver would be better than AMD producing an OSS driver. What I am willing to say though, is that it would be better for the graphics stack and the community as a whole.

                        I don't think nVidia really cares about the graphics stack or the OSS graphics driver community though. Saying that it would be better and actually having it happen are two very different things.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Kickstart a License!!!

                          We definitely need a kickstarter project to pool money, so Nouveau can become an official NVIDIA Kepler licensee and so they can get official hardware documentation through official channel.

                          (I mean, they pay for the license, just unlike the other licensee, they don't produce actual SoC, they only produce in-house drivers using the documentation that comes with the license. It should proabably be doable, specially if nouveau keeps being implemented clean-room, there should be no risk of unlicensed Nvidia-owned IP (like driver source code from their blob) leaking in the open. It will probably just cost them a fuck-ton of money, specially because they'll need custom licensing terms (the right to write their own drivers and release them open source), but maybe enough interest can build around a kickstart project to fund this).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                            We definitely need a kickstarter project to pool money, so Nouveau can become an official NVIDIA Kepler licensee and so they can get official hardware documentation through official channel.

                            (I mean, they pay for the license, just unlike the other licensee, they don't produce actual SoC, they only produce in-house drivers using the documentation that comes with the license. It should proabably be doable, specially if nouveau keeps being implemented clean-room, there should be no risk of unlicensed Nvidia-owned IP (like driver source code from their blob) leaking in the open. It will probably just cost them a fuck-ton of money, specially because they'll need custom licensing terms (the right to write their own drivers and release them open source), but maybe enough interest can build around a kickstart project to fund this).
                            This won't work, as mobile Kepler they are eager to license to other parties is not the same thing as PC Kepler. They are two different beasts sharing some common details. There's a great chance high level APIs for accessing desktop Kerpler are different from those employed by their mobile counterpart.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Not long ago, I was scouring the internet for NVIDIA EGL support announcements/rumors, then the licensing of their Kepler-info came along, and then the info that Canonical provided, regarding the unified EGL-driver.
                              I actually thought that NVIDIA had only started their work on EGL recently, but according to http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...b4sTXgA#t=465s they've actually been working on it for about a year (10:28, but the bit in the link leading up to it, is somewhat relevant).
                              I havn't got the slightest idea how complex EGL is, but a year seems like quite a bit considering the size of the company.
                              I can't help but wonder what's keeping them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X