Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

    Phoronix: New NVIDIA Linux Driver Supports The GeForce GTX 780

    NVIDIA released today the 319.23 Linux graphics driver, which supports the just-released GeForce GTX 780 graphics card. There's also a couple of other changes to this certified Linux driver update, including 4K HDMI support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3Nzg

  • #2
    4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

    vdpau (only 10% load):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot002vdpau.png

    vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hot4kvaapi.png

    xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

    Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
    Last edited by fritsch; 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fritsch View Post
      4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

      vdpau (only 10% load):
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot002vdpau.png

      vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hot4kvaapi.png

      xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

      Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
      Umm what, even 38402160 is one 4k resolution, but you obviously know that. Nice cpu load you have there, with vdpau.

      I think that they fixed this bug(or tried to fix it):
      https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...5-mhz-broken-/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        Umm what, even 38402160 is one 4k resolution, but you obviously know that. Nice cpu load you have there, with vdpau.

        I think that they fixed this bug(or tried to fix it):
        https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...5-mhz-broken-/
        Yeah - not talking about the 4K resolution, but the 4K surface size, when using vdpau decoder.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fritsch View Post
          4K > 4032 :-) but never the less. Made some tests with xbmc:

          vdpau (only 10% load):
          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot002vdpau.png

          vaapi (Erm, the cpu load is 400% cause a handbrake Job is running in the background ;-)) - so ivy bridge and vaapi can do it easily:
          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hot4kvaapi.png

          xvba (not working at all, sorry here), limited to 2048 x 1544

          Obviously I don't have a 4K Display, but wanted to test the decoder anyways.
          Here is vaapi without anything running in the background (cause I got mails about the high cpu load, some people cannot read): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ot4kvaapi2.png

          Comment


          • #6
            Nvidia GPU X Linux

            Guys, I'm buying a new laptop and I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970 crossfire and would like to hear from you how's the nvidia driver nowadays. I know we had some acid news sometime ago with Linus criticizing nvidia support but don't know how's the things now and searching on Google didn't helped either.

            Checking benchmarks on notebook check ler me believe the nvidia is better but we'll, it's also expensive and I'm not exactly a gamer. What do you think.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by joelteixeira View Post
              Guys, I'm buying a new laptop and I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970 crossfire and would like to hear from you how's the nvidia driver nowadays. I know we had some acid news sometime ago with Linus criticizing nvidia support but don't know how's the things now and searching on Google didn't helped either.

              Checking benchmarks on notebook check ler me believe the nvidia is better but we'll, it's also expensive and I'm not exactly a gamer. What do you think.
              If youre not a gamer stick with intel get yourself HD 4600 or HD4000
              You will avoid:
              - Heat issues due to poor cooling and physical constraints
              - Loudness
              - Size
              - Weight
              - Stupid NVIDIA and AMD driver issues
              - Mobile graphics which are based on same name as their desktop parent are always less powerful which means 780 is faster than 780m

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                Originally posted by joelteixeira View Post
                ...I'm choosing between nvidia 780m SLI or ati 8970...
                If youre not a gamer...
                LOL10char limit

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  LOL10char limit
                  You have apparently never dealt with people who think that for BF3 they need SLI Titans

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    You have apparently never dealt with people who think that for BF3 they need SLI Titans
                    Hey man, I got 3 SLI'd Titans and I play 2d pong at 1080p.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                      If youre not a gamer stick with intel get yourself HD 4600 or HD4000
                      You will avoid:
                      - Heat issues due to poor cooling and physical constraints
                      - Loudness
                      - Size
                      - Weight
                      - Stupid NVIDIA and AMD driver issues
                      - Mobile graphics which are based on same name as their desktop parent are always less powerful which means 780 is faster than 780m
                      Thanks, I agreed with you but maybe I didn't explained right. I can't consider myself a gamer, but every now and then I enjoy spending some time gaming - that's why I want a good GPU.

                      My main concern is, Linus or anyone else still having reasons to raise the middle finger to NVIDIA or after that sad novel NVIDIA improved linux support?

                      EDIT: My actual laptop (XPS 1640 - ATI 4670) is four years old now and I'm outdated on this subject even more. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone with a NVIDIA card was able to follow the drivers update and improvements. And I trust phoronix community more than any other I know. It's my first time participating on the forums but I follow phoronix forums for a long time.
                      Last edited by joelteixeira; 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by joelteixeira View Post
                        Thanks, I agreed with you but maybe I didn't explained right. I can't consider myself a gamer, but every now and then I enjoy spending some time gaming - that's why I want a good GPU.

                        My main concern is, Linus or anyone else still having reasons to raise the middle finger to NVIDIA or after that sad novel NVIDIA improved linux support?

                        EDIT: My actual laptop (XPS 1640 - ATI 4670) is four years old now and I'm outdated on this subject even more. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone with a NVIDIA card was able to follow the drivers update and improvements. And I trust phoronix community more than any other I know. It's my first time participating on the forums but I follow phoronix forums for a long time.
                        I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

                        Notebooks with powerful GPUs usually have fucked up cooling which means they likely to be affected by throttling

                        Optimus support: nVIDIA is working on but according to their readme there are still some caveats
                        AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly

                        Proprietary Catalyst or NVIDIA drivers still lack some features of its Windows counterparts

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                          I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

                          Notebooks with powerful GPUs usually have fucked up cooling which means they likely to be affected by throttling

                          Optimus support: nVIDIA is working on but according to their readme there are still some caveats
                          AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly

                          Proprietary Catalyst or NVIDIA drivers still lack some features of its Windows counterparts
                          Thanks a lot Ramirez, after reading this I think one single GPU is a better idea at this momment.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                            I would never buy SLI or CF because they have issues with microshuttering
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering
                            There is problems with SLI and CF, but such problems unrealted to Optimus and PowerXpress at all.
                            Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                            AMDs open source (SI 8xxx) driver is still in its infancy
                            That correct, but joelteixeira may buy laptop with VLIW-based GPU and use it with FOSS driver.
                            Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                            and their proprietary driver is not known to be old GPU and bleeding edge xorg/kernel friendly
                            It doesn't need to be old GPU friendly because there is FOSS driver - that work out of the box with old GPU. What about bleeding edge Xorg/Kernel support? For example latest Catalyst Beta already support latest Fedora.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              1. Yes, i never claimed otherwise
                              2. GCN / or Nvidia 6xx/7xx are much more energy efficient and emanate less heat than previous generations which makes them a better choice for laptop
                              3. Yes when 3.11 kernel will be in available it will be much better choice for NI and Evergreen however until SI reaches maturity he will be forced to use Catalyst just like in nVIDIAs case Sadly nouveau is not an option and i dont think it will ever be unlike radeon which advances rapidly

                              Sorry about that Catalyst /Kernel support
                              Last edited by Ramiliez; 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X