Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of NVIDIA's New Linux GPU Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Michael already mentioned that he can't benchmark them as they don't return framerate in any way that the PTS could automatically collect and store just yet. So that's something that Valve needs to fix first.
    Ah ok :/ Thanks

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      they don't return framerate in any way that the PTS could automatically collect and store just yet.
      Sure they do, PTS just doesn't do it yet. Honestly if this site was half way decent it wouldn't matter and Michael would just be running manual benchmark runs if his benchmarking tool wasn't up to speed yet, but Phoronix is all about PTS these days, not the actual benchmark results.

      Comment


      • #13
        Killing Floor is UE2 (it originated as a mod for UT2004). So of course there should be no issues there, except that it's not free AFAIK.

        Comment


        • #14
          Thanks for the benchmarks. Odd to see a performance regression with the latest driver release.

          What is with people bitching whenever benchmarks are performed here? If you don't like the tests used, then do your own damn benchmarks. Some people are very rude and disrespectful on this forum. Much easier to criticize other people then doing some actual tests yourself, isn't it? Personally, if I were releasing benchmarks and people complained about every minute detail - I would stop providing them to the public.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
            Personally, if I were releasing benchmarks and people complained about every minute detail - I would stop providing them to the public.
            Michael makes his living from ad revenue based on those benchmarks, so it's doubtful he'll just stop. And we have every right to point out what we think should be improved on the site. Michael can always ban us if he doesn't like what we're saying.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Sure they do, PTS just doesn't do it yet. Honestly if this site was half way decent it wouldn't matter and Michael would just be running manual benchmark runs if his benchmarking tool wasn't up to speed yet, but Phoronix is all about PTS these days, not the actual benchmark results.
              RTFL.

              Wont expand first 3, but 4th stand for LICENSE.
              Did you checked if licenses of those games and license of steam allow for benchmarks?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                RTFL.

                Wont expand first 3, but 4th stand for LICENSE.
                Did you checked if licenses of those games and license of steam allow for benchmarks?
                Michael has already told us that Valve gave him explicit permission to benchmark apps. At least some of Valve's games.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Sure they do
                  No they don't, at last check there's still an issue with Steam not exiting (the game can exit, but Steam will still be running and thus block the process) after the benchmark is complete. So without nasty hacks, it can't be automated nicely until Steam quits when requested and doesn't hang.

                  There's also an issue of not being able to control revisions/updates to the game, but for my purposes that isn't as pressing as Steam getting in the way on exit.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    When you check first that the game runs you can use a direct approach to run the game. Like:

                    http://kanotix.com/files/fix/tmp/tf2...demos-tf2.bash

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      So without nasty hacks, it can't be automated nicely until Steam quits when requested and doesn't hang.
                      So you're saying it's possible, with nasty hacks.... Besides which, that's ignoring the argument that Phoronix should just show benchmarks that aren't in PTS, for exactly that reason - PTS hasn't gotten support for Steam in months, and there is no sign of it ever coming. It's pretty obvious Valve doesn't consider the matter an urgent priority, and you obviously don't either. So will PTS ever support Steam? Will Phoronix ever have a Valve game benchmarked?
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 04-12-2013, 03:04 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X