Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 313.18 Driver Update Packs A Ton Of Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA 313.18 Driver Update Packs A Ton Of Changes

    Phoronix: NVIDIA 313.18 Driver Update Packs A Ton Of Changes

    NVIDIA released the 313.18 Linux graphics driver this morning as the first official/certified (non-beta) driver in their 313.xx driver series. The NVIDIA 313 Linux driver release packs an awesome number of changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3NjI

  • #2
    NVIDIA makes it clear once again. If you want to do some gaming on Linux. Buy a NVIDIA graphics card. Frequent, stable and feature loaded updates and great performance. I will never ever buy something from AMD.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      NVIDIA makes it clear once again. If you want to do some gaming on Linux. Buy a NVIDIA graphics card. Frequent, stable and feature loaded updates and great performance. I will never ever buy something from AMD.
      Indeed. Meanwhile in fglrx land, catalyst 12.11 beta 11. Sad. Really sad.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        If you want to do some gaming on Linux. Buy a NVIDIA graphics card.
        Good joke… as if a little Valve involvement would suddenly make Linux a good gaming platform. Normal users care more about their hardware working out of the box and you get that with the FOSS AMD drivers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Good joke… as if a little Valve involvement would suddenly make Linux a good gaming platform. Normal users care more about their hardware working out of the box and you get that with the FOSS AMD drivers.
          Problem with working out of the box is that the radeon drivers have ass performance. Nobody will switch to Linux if their 3 screen 7970 setup doesn't still run insert-high-end-game-supporting-linux (Half Life 3?) at ultra settings. If AMD ditched fglrx and focused entirely on making radeon the frontrunner, I would absolutely go for an AMD card in my next build.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Problem with working out of the box is that the radeon drivers have ass performance. Nobody will switch to Linux if their 3 screen 7970 setup doesn't still run insert-high-end-game-supporting-linux (Half Life 3?) at ultra settings. If AMD ditched fglrx and focused entirely on making radeon the frontrunner, I would absolutely go for an AMD card in my next build.
            At the moment, both AMD and Nvidia run Half-Life 3 and Crysis 7 Ultra Edition at the same speed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ahhhh, I can't wait to build a new rig and finally ditch this old ati 4850. Why did I ever leave you, nVidia...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Good joke… as if a little Valve involvement would suddenly make Linux a good gaming platform. Normal users care more about their hardware working out of the box and you get that with the FOSS AMD drivers.
                Really? So gamers don't mind spending big €€€ or $$$ or whatever in a new graphics card, only to have the same performance as their 4-year-old graphics card because the drivers are still not optimized for the new one?
                Lol, we must not be talking about the same planet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: NVIDIA 313.18 Driver Update Packs A Ton Of Changes

                  NVIDIA released the 313.18 Linux graphics driver this morning as the first official/certified (non-beta) driver in their 313.xx driver series. The NVIDIA 313 Linux driver release packs an awesome number of changes...

                  http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3NjI
                  Michael, You was threating us with benchmarks of Steam based games, any news there? Any plans?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Does this one support 3.8.x kernel? (I'm seeing bug reports of nvidia-experimental-310 failing to build on 3.8 kernels in Ubuntu Raring.)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X