Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing NVIDIA's Linux Threaded OpenGL Optimizations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Testing NVIDIA's Linux Threaded OpenGL Optimizations

    Phoronix: Testing NVIDIA's Linux Threaded OpenGL Optimizations

    With the NVIDIA 310.14 Beta driver introduced at the beginning of this week there are some OpenGL performance improvements in general plus an experimental threaded OpenGL implementation that can be easily enabled. In this article are benchmarks from the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 with this new Linux driver release.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18015

  • #2
    Interesting benchmarks, with my gt630 (kepler) i did only dhewm3 tests and the difference was minimal. Maybe you really need a very fast card to see em.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder how threaded optimization will behave in WINE....


      These tests should start to include some benchmarking using it....


      Maybe using some simple games easy to install and play ...

      There is also a set of Windows libraries and registry settings that is common to majority of games...

      Comment


      • #4
        Threaded optimization is tailored for Wow

        The threading optimization is simply nvidia implimenting a hack that has been floating around for World of Warcraft in wine. You find the history of it here:
        http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11674

        From that thread it is clear that this issue is special for WoW, but may also be of interest to Guild Wars 2. I can confirm that the patch does wonders for WoW on linux with wine, just as intended.

        Thanks for the thourough testing, it confirms that this really is a special issue for WoW, while earlier indications were more anecdotal in nature.

        Comment


        • #5
          Can you confirm that WoW without that patch but with this on delivers the same performance?

          Comment


          • #6
            Impressive decrease of performance "in applications that heavily rely on synchronous OpenGL calls such as glGet*". At least for vdrift I can tell that it is using glGet calls in the GL2-1 backends. But it is interesting to see how much difference it makes.

            This is the thing I don't like about OpenGL api. It makes it very easy to write very inefficient code.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vadi View Post
              Can you confirm that WoW without that patch but with this on delivers the same performance?
              Well, I never got ae's patch to work, so I can only refer to others benching of that. That said, I can confirm that the WoW without ae's patch, but with nvidias threading provides vastly better performance (when you need it, think during raid and battleground) than without threading optimization. The effect is supposedly twice what you get for ae's patch, but the big bone is that it actually works for everybody and it is stable. You definitely do not want to use ae's patch together with nivida's optimization, they both try to achieve the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by asdx
                ROFL, threaded optimizations fail, can't say I'm suprised. Fuck you nvidia.
                There you go again...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Interesting benchmarks, with my gt630 (kepler) i did only dhewm3 tests and the difference was minimal. Maybe you really need a very fast card to see em.
                  OEM gt630? Retail versions are renamed fermis.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Del_ View Post
                    The threading optimization is simply nvidia implimenting a hack that has been floating around for World of Warcraft in wine. You find the history of it here:
                    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11674

                    From that thread it is clear that this issue is special for WoW, but may also be of interest to Guild Wars 2. I can confirm that the patch does wonders for WoW on linux with wine, just as intended.

                    Thanks for the thourough testing, it confirms that this really is a special issue for WoW, while earlier indications were more anecdotal in nature.
                    What version of the game are you running? Are you running current or 2.4.3/3.3.5a/4.0.6a

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The performance improvements look nice.

                      Thanks for all the hard work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by asdx
                        ROFL, threaded optimizations fail, can't say I'm suprised. Fuck you nvidia.
                        Did anyone expect an asshole & a troll to change their ways? Michael, do the right thing and ban this troll for good.

                        The nouveau garbage by garbage developers can't even perform up to par or have OpenGL 4.3 support.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                          ......

                          The nouveau garbage by garbage developers can't even perform up to par or have OpenGL 4.3 support.
                          Garbage developers??????? who's the troll again?
                          Netrunner Linux - Rolling Release ; Nexus 5 ROM Chroma 5.1 ; NAS 6TB on FreeNAS

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This has to be the lowest-level discussion forum about open source anything....

                            Garbage developers? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So...

                              asdx is calling people (including a nvidia dev once!) all sorts of things, and nothing. But someone does the same about nouveau, and suddenly it's "what's wrong with you people?" ??

                              Good work GT220. Apparently this forum is about "be totally obnoxious and insult all you want, as long as the target isn't an open source driver".

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X