No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 304.51 Linux Graphics Driver Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IME it has nothing to do with hardware X or driver Y.

What used to simply "just work" in Ubuntu 10.10 / 11.04 does not, at all, work anymore. It just doesn't work. I don't know how else to explain it. It's like the Apple philosophy reversed. Despite the 400 million trillion patches sent out for unity / compiz, the OS just plain simply does not work, especially for gaming.

Just the other day I had to dip into XBMC to check something out and that's when I realized that the program is absolutely, 100% completely unusable in Ubuntu 12.04 (w/ -proposed repository for the latest unity updates). Literally so choppy as to be unusable -- on a Core i7 w/ a GeForce 570. This program used to be 100% smooth and flawless on 11.04.

So between the ridiculous tearing, awful performance, desktop that doesn't work and the fact that game selections will be limited, I see no reason to move my gaming experience to something far far inferior.

In the 10.10 days I could play Doom3 without any problems, but that's not the case anymore.

Or maybe it's just time to dump Ubuntu. I thought it was supposed to be the "Linux for human beings".

Comment

Working...
    X