This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I currently have a 7900GS, so will this get dropped too?
    It seems like the 304 series will be the last supported series for that card. Afterwards it'll transition to legacy status... so Xorg / kernel updates and security fixes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
      I must say this. I'm (still) the owner of an infamous Pavilion tx1000, resucitated with black magic and south bridge switching, that included the also infamous GeForce 6150 SE. And I will say: thank you, NVIDIA, for all these years of tier-1 Linux support. I enjoyed almost 5 full years of support, despite the fact that I bought a DOA chipset. And there is still the legacy support, that will bring me support for 2 or 3 major X releases.
      I did not know my motherboards integrated chip was supposedly dead on arrival. Still, I know for a fact that nouveau does properly support the GeForce 6150 SE as of the release of Fedora 15 last year. Before that it was bit shaky though.

Comment

I still run a 7800GTX on my spare parts rig. I bought it new and it has been a wonderful card. I remember playing HL:2 Lost Coast when it was first released and being blown away. It also has outlasted two 8800gtxs that were just as good at being space heaters as GPUs.

Comment

You don't have to exchange it now that should be clear. Even when you only get minor updates it was very unlikely that the changes besides the new xrandr support affected old cards much. Many problems like vdpau issues only existed on newer hardware, so don't cry Btw. if you dont use a screw you can exchange cards very fast, i do not need 1 min to do so Luckly i got a new gt630 (kepler variant) a few days ago, before i used a spare geforce 7 often for simple driver tests - i have got 2 systems i test with various cards, usually single slot. My only dual slot 8800 gts 512 is a pain to install/remove compared to those - but well thats not the normal use case. If nvidia would drop dx10(.1) class hardware from default driver it would be much more annoying, thats what amd just did.

I hope that nouveau gets automatic reclocking support in a timeframe where the cards are still used - then you would not need binary drivers at all. For lowend cards/igp it should not really matter what driver you use now, many are happy with nouveau alone - enough for some 3d desktop effects - gamers need of course a faster driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I hope that nouveau gets automatic reclocking support in a timeframe where the cards are still used - then you would not need binary drivers at all. For lowend cards/igp it should not really matter what driver you use now, many are happy with nouveau alone - enough for some 3d desktop effects - gamers need of course a faster driver.
            My hope is that Nouveau supports current users well enough for them to utilize their GPUs for the remainder of their product's life time. I can only hope that current Nvidia owners reconsider making subsequent purchases of Nvidia hardware, and that they give future consideration to companies that support and contribute towards progressing the linux kernel, X11 (or Wayland), and mesa.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
              I can only hope that current Nvidia owners reconsider making subsequent purchases of Nvidia hardware
              I would not reconsider if they *completely* dropped 6/7 support right now, instead of just relegating it to a legacy branch. I've gotten a good run out of that laptop, the bad state it's in, it won't last long anyway. Though if I'll buy a new laptop anytime soon (not likely), it'll be pure Intel. But for desktops, I will definitely look at Nvidia should the integrated Intel GPU turn out to not be enough. It's what already happened with me - I started with just the iGPU, but there were a few things I wanted to play that the iGPU couldn't handle, so I also have a Geforce GTS450.

Comment

Yes Intel onboard can be really annoying when you compare the Win vs Linux speed/features. Like you can not play Rage via wine with HD 4000 on Linux - but even a relatively simple GT 630 (oem) is enough. The nvidia card is only a tiny bit faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  how? and where? my nv9600 still works just fine, I just wanted a performance boost, they are welcome to my card
                  Go to project IRC, ask if someone needs a card, send it.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    Nvidia: please discontinue yourself.

Fuck off and fuck you.
                    asdx: Please, you fuck off!!

You don't contribute anything except posts like these. It's fucking annoying.

Comment

I wonder what steve blobs (ms/apple) would say if a hw company refused to work with them

pluck screw?
                      duck two?

something like that i would imagine, i've no doubt worse things have been said in closed board rooms anyway.

Comment

You fuck off.
                        Michael, how long are you going to allow this completely juvenile behavior? Serious question.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                          Michael, how long are you going to allow this completely juvenile behavior? Serious question.
                          Do not mix Michael here please. Everyone is free to have a view point. Asdx has it. You too.
                          If you don't like what he is writing, do not respond. If you respond, you carry the responsibility for further discussion evolvement. Serious answer.

Nvidia: please discontinue yourself.

Fuck off and fuck you.
                          If you don't use nvidia hardware, why do you write in this thread?

If you use nvidia hardware and you are unhappy with how it performs, buy AMD.

I did. Twice. I didn't like anything about it, including results. Only exception being the hackers who push the open stack further.

If you use nvidia hardware and you want nouveau to perform better, code or donate the hardware. Don't waste your effort here.

People who use nvidia blob do this in their own responsibility. It would be much better if you have published your results and experiences with hardware and software stack you use.

We have already like 10 trolls on this forum, who either provoke or accuse linux for not having windows-like crap. Instead of trolling, its better to code or help improve, that's my personal experience. Would be one troll less and one contributor more.

Comment

http://jeffreystedfast.blogspot.com/...us-people.html

Every community that grows to a sufficient size has to deal with its poisonous people, or risk being controlled by them. The fact that every thread on the forums here eventually devolves into a shouting match between the same few people is a good sign that this community is already on the road to ruin.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                              Do not mix Michael here please.
                              It's his site. Therefore his responsibility to keep it clean from crap.

Everyone is free to have a view point. Asdx has it. You too.
                              Saying "fuck you" in every thread about Nvidia is not "a view point". It's being a juvenile idiot. And when he then goes further and says "fuck you" directly to people (including a Nvidia dev!) that's behavior that warrants a timeout (temporary ban). And if it continues, a permanent ban.

If you don't like what he is writing, do not respond.
                              That's not a solution. If inappropriate behavior is not dealt with, it will continue to go on and on and on. And on.

If you respond, you carry the responsibility for further discussion evolvement. Serious answer.
                              Why are you advocating allowing a person to write "fuck you" all the time without repercussions, while not allowing others to say they find it annoying and requesting that something is done about it? That's ridiculous. You're giving people the go-ahead to be obnoxious.

Comment

I can see where this is going...so many petty attacks that end up derailing every single darn thread. It does not just happen in the nvidia section it also happens in the AMD/ATI section too.

There are a lot of upset people in both camps and that ends up in a clusterfuck

I for one am sad my favorite GPU's coming to the end of the line and hopefully Nouveau will be as rock solid as the blob soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X