Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 304.37 Linux Driver Brings 41 Official Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I guess FXAA is not very optimized on Linux. In Windows, with FXAA I take something like a 2FPS hit.

    Comment


    • #47
      yup is has some issues.
      AA (MSAA) off give 60FPS vsync which goes downto say 55 around HoN's water effect.
      x8 AA gives ~ 40FPS which goes downto say 20 in big effects
      FXAA give 20fps which goes downto like 6 when effects are going on

      this is with a 9600 tho so I wonder if it isn't too good on older cards.



      And as I mentioned the application override in nvidia-settings doesn't actually do that

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by asdx
        Fuck nvidia, and all the idiots who support them.
        Seriously? You should stop swearing in every single post. This just makes you sound like a 13 year old child, who has nothing valuable to say. It does not help you to make your point, it just makes people ignore what you have to say and weakens your point. This is not meant to offend you, it's a sincere advice for you.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Naib View Post
          yup is has some issues.
          And as I mentioned the application override in nvidia-settings doesn't actually do that
          Yes and no. first of all, looks like neither of us bothered to read the tooltip, lol, it plainly says that (at the moment I hope):

          So no Override for us, do file a bug report though, use the 'buton' reason

          Then I tested with Tesselation Normal:
          4xAA: FPS: 26.8 / Scores: 674 / Min FPS: 18.9 / Max FPS: 54.4
          FXAA: FPS: 30.2 / Scores: 762 / Min FPS: 20.8 / Max FPS: 62.7
          Looks like the shaders get hammered on Tess Xtreme and FXAA suffers...

          That's one thing, and the other, since I can't stand tearing and since nVidia set Vsync ON by default in the newer drivers I tend to forget about it so my old tests (and this one above) where done with Vsync ON, so turning Vsync OFF with Tesselation Xtreme got me this:
          4xAA: FPS: 19.4 / Scores: 488 / Min FPS: 10.8 / Max FPS: 46.4
          FXAA: FPS: 21.5 / Scores: 542 / Min FPS: 11.5 / Max FPS: 54.0

          Maybe this needs testing with some other programs too, Michael said he has an AA comparison in the works so he'll cover it better, also I'm pretty sick of starring at looping demos daaammmit.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            So the user should be greeted with an X11 that doesn't start and it should be impossible to disable the open driver. Yey, what a great idea. You're a genius.
            No, that's not my idea, although I can see how somebody of your intellectual capacity could hallucinate something that stupid.

            My idea is that they should release documentation for their hardware, so the nouveau folks can improve their driver. Work with the nouveau devs instead of blacklisting their driver. What do you have against that idea?

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              No, that's not my idea, although I can see how somebody of your intellectual capacity could hallucinate something that stupid.

              My idea is that they should release documentation for their hardware, so the nouveau folks can improve their driver. Work with the nouveau devs instead of blacklisting their driver. What do you have against that idea?
              Nothing. But it has nothing to do with the command line option.

              You know, if "intellectual capacity" is important to you, then why do you write idiotic posts?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                Yes and no. first of all, looks like neither of us bothered to read the tooltip, lol, it plainly says that (at the moment I hope):

                So no Override for us, do file a bug report though, use the 'buton' reason

                Then I tested with Tesselation Normal:
                4xAA: FPS: 26.8 / Scores: 674 / Min FPS: 18.9 / Max FPS: 54.4
                FXAA: FPS: 30.2 / Scores: 762 / Min FPS: 20.8 / Max FPS: 62.7
                Looks like the shaders get hammered on Tess Xtreme and FXAA suffers...

                That's one thing, and the other, since I can't stand tearing and since nVidia set Vsync ON by default in the newer drivers I tend to forget about it so my old tests (and this one above) where done with Vsync ON, so turning Vsync OFF with Tesselation Xtreme got me this:
                4xAA: FPS: 19.4 / Scores: 488 / Min FPS: 10.8 / Max FPS: 46.4
                FXAA: FPS: 21.5 / Scores: 542 / Min FPS: 11.5 / Max FPS: 54.0

                Maybe this needs testing with some other programs too, Michael said he has an AA comparison in the works so he'll cover it better, also I'm pretty sick of starring at looping demos daaammmit.
                More or less whats expected on a Windows OS then: FXAA is faster then 4xMSAA, but at the cost of some image quality in some instances.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  You know, if "intellectual capacity" is important to you, then why do you write idiotic posts?
                  I am sure imaginary property is important to Intel and AMD too, but they still have managed to develop open source device drivers and released hardware documentation to device driver developers.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I am sure imaginary property is important to Intel and AMD too, but they still have managed to develop open source device drivers and released hardware documentation to device driver developers.
                    Good for them.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Nothing. But it has nothing to do with the command line option.
                      Sure. What does an option to blacklist the nouveau driver have to do with the nouveau driver?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                        Sure. What does an option to blacklist the nouveau driver have to do with the nouveau driver?
                        This is so easy to answer, a 4 year old could do it. But OK, since you don't understand, I'll explain:

                        It stops the Nouveau driver from loading, because if it's loaded, any other driver accessing the same hardware cannot work.

                        Ah well, some people simply have trouble grasping very simple things. Don't be ashamed. Rather, you should feel special.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by asdx
                          The Linux kernel should add an option to kill the nvidia blob.
                          Phoronix should add an option to ignore asdx.... oh wait! there is one ~ simply navigate to asdx' profile and click 'add to ignore list'...lol

                          done and done

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by ninez View Post
                            Phoronix should add an option to ignore asdx.... oh wait! there is one ~ simply navigate to asdx' profile and click 'add to ignore list'...lol

                            done and done
                            But then how would the threads get fertilized around here?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              ROFL! I don't think the threads here need that kind of an unhealthy fertilizer...

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
                                My idea is that they should release documentation for their hardware, so the nouveau folks can improve their driver. Work with the nouveau devs instead of blacklisting their driver. What do you have against that idea?
                                Originally posted by RealNC
                                Nothing. But it has nothing to do with the command line option.
                                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
                                Sure. What does an option to blacklist the nouveau driver have to do with the nouveau driver?
                                Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                                This is so easy to answer, a 4 year old could do it.
                                You're making this too easy. It took you exactly two posts to turn 180 degrees. All I did was bemoan Nvidia's treatment of nouveau and here you are, still going around in circles raging about who-knows-what.

                                Have a herbal infusion and leave the internet for a week, kid.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X