NVIDIA PR Responds To Torvalds' Harsh Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    That's not the issue. Exposing how a driver interacts with a patented portion just makes it easier for AMD to figure out what's going on and develop an extremely similar but, for the sake of patent infringement, different enough implementation.

That's what a pattent is supussed to protect. Anyway, a different enough but better implementation (that would need a lot of investment and work) has its merits and should be protected too, that's how innovation goes faster isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      What incentive do I have to pour millions of dollars into researching and implementing new technologies if company x will wait 2 months, spend $50k on some overseas developers, and put together a lookalike in a few months?

That is the opposite of sane competition.
      A pattent should avoid that kind of things. Copying without innovation is not fair. Just ask apple and its tablet competitors

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        We're talking about people who live in theory and ideology and have very little understanding of the harsh realities businesses face.
        Well, you tell me.

A public interest legal group has renewed the fight against DNA patenting.

Those harsh reallities are for end consumers, not big bussines.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          I just removed the last Nvidia card from my systems; now running ATI and Intel with Fedora 17 out-of-the-box drivers. I get flawless 1080p video, 3D desktop and adequate light gaming. When Nvidia considers updating their attitude, I'll reconsider my opinion and recommendations.
          What AMD card specifically do you use, that you find more compelling than existing Intel-based acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
            A pattent should avoid that kind of things. Copying without innovation is not fair. Just ask apple and its tablet competitors
            The problem is that it could come as far as "Hey! Your thing is rectangular and uses screen! We've patented all kinds of tablets. As well as wheel, spoon and bicycle". You see, there should be something to avoid patents on trivial/well known things but it does not looks like it works. So unless innovators and inventors have many k$ or even M$ to defend from patent troll attacks they would be far better not inventing and manufacturing anything. Which is wrong.

As for nVIDIA, they told many useless words. What a worthless company.

Comment

Linus Torvaulds, the single most detrimental factor to GNU/Linux acceptance.

Linus can just go fuck himself. As soon as somebody gets the balls to fork the kernel he can then just go fucking fork off in a new direction like the tree he is.

Time to step down old man. Too old and stagnant. I really hope you read this shet. Here's what I think of your ever-changing API's and ABI (_|_) <-- that's an ASsCI ASS.

NVidia is the best thing that ever became of Unix Graphics. They made graphics programming and gaming a breeze.

sigh

Comment

And you own an Optimus based laptop like the woman does who asked the question before?

Comment

REVENGE?

Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now.
                  Note: This requires cookies!
                  Linux Support Forums-> NVIDIA Linux

Comment

Wow a lot kids in this forum that just bitch and bitch and not know anything how businesses work and what nVidia have been and is doing now. Let me see on my setup with GeForce8 8400M GS with a dual monitor setup that was easy to setup with nvidia-settings, so you might ask does it work. Yes it does. The close-source driver works very well. OpenGL works just fine. I can play games with out being limited of OpenGL instructions. The first nVidia that I used in Linux was a GeForce3 and then a GeForceFX, so I may ask again does it work. Yes it does. I can play Unreal Tournament: TGOY Edition and Unreal Tournament 2004. WINE is not optimized for nVidia because WINE has not optimize their code for speed. WINE only optimized their code for compatibility with Windows applications. WINE developers and Cedega recommends nVidia because nVidia supports all OpenGL instructions. ATI or now is AMD graphics does not support all OpenGL that they said their drivers supports.

VDPAU on my GeForce8 8400M GS at this time does not work because of some odd reason. It worked when it first was implement. I am using nVidia driver version 290.10. The amount of times that I use VDPAU is never because Mplayer supports multi-threading, so hardware acceleration for me becomes redundant. Though nVidia does actually fix their drivers if there is a problem. I had problem in previous releases when OpenGL is initialized the screen goes blank and few seconds later it goes back to normal or shows the graphics.

I do not just have nVidia graphic cards. I also have ATI and AMD radeon graphic cards. I have a ATI Radeon 64 VIVO, an ATI Radeon 32, and a AMD Radeon HD from a 780G chipset. Sometimes I test where the open source drivers are at. They are still far behind of supporting all features compared to nVidia supports for their products. Sure I can use fglrx or AMD graphics closed-source drivers, but it does not provide complete features and there are some missing OpenGL instructions in these drivers. Running games that I have might work with AMD graphic cards, but not all games if I run with WINE or Cedega.

For everybody's information, nVidia did try support Optimus in Linux, but the way that nVidia is going to use is kernel developers say NO. They say no to nVidia because of feature that can help Linux future proof itself for better desktop support that can benefit other companies like Intel and AMD have switching support. There is a bureaucracy going on with Linux internally, so it getting very messy. Linus Travolds wants Linux be for desktops, but the Linux community seems it should not be. Even Linus Travolds acts that Linux should not be for desktops.

I say WOW again because the people in the Linux community acts like a religious fanatic in a way that everything should be open source. I use Linux on a daily basis with mixture of open source and closed source programs and drivers, it works well and gives the best of both worlds. I tired of the Linux community because there are too many religious fanatics that say open source good, close source bad, and Linus Travolds good to bow to. Sheesh people go get a brain, so you be your own individual because sounds like a broken record.

Comment

• Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
                      GeForce8 8400M GS with a dual monitor setup that was easy to setup with nvidia-settings,
                      Try how easy it is rotating one of the screens.

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
                      WINE developers and Cedega recommends nVidia because nVidia supports all OpenGL instructions. ATI or now is AMD graphics does not support all OpenGL that they said their drivers supports.
                      Even with open source radeon's nearly opengl3.0 you can play skyrim or crysis2. Lack of support for OpenGL extensions is bad but not as bad as you think.

VDPAU on my GeForce8 8400M GS at this time does not work because
                      I say WOW again because the people in the Linux community acts like a religious fanatic in a way that everything should be open source.
                      If the nvidia driver was open source your vdpau problem would most probably already be fixed and you wouldn't have had to wait for years even for xrandr support. If the flash plugin was open source the color palette switching problem with vdpau would be fixed already. Closed Source software is good for a company to protect whatever "secret" knowledge they need to protect but it is bad for everybody else.

Even Linus Travolds acts that Linux should not be for desktops.
                      I tired of the Linux community because there are too many religious fanatics that say open source good, close source bad, and Linus Travolds good to bow to. Sheesh people go get a brain, so you be your own individual because sounds like a broken record.
                      Srsly?

Comment

Working...
                      X