Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce 7050

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA GeForce 7050

    Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 7050

    The NVIDIA GeForce 6100 and 6150 integrated graphics processors have been relatively popular among Linux and Windows users. These IGPs have been common in HTPC setups with the NVIDIA driver working out well with MythTV. NVIDIA's GeForce 6100/6150 parts have also appeared in a number of desktop systems, and while these IGPs cannot really handle modern games, they have no troubles with Beryl or Compiz. However, it's now time that the GeForce 6 series moves on with NVIDIA having recently introduced the NVIDIA GeForce 7025 and 7050 with the nForce 630a as the replacement for the GeForce 6100 and 6150 with the nForce 410/430. We have decided to look at the NVIDIA GeForce 7050 today as we compare it to the GeForce 6150 and test it in a variety of Linux graphics benchmarks.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10447

  • #2
    We know there is no Purevideo for Linux. There is xvmc support for mpeg2 acceleration with many Nvidia cards. It would have been nice to find out a bit about that.

    You just reiterate press releases as far as I can see. The 3D benchmarks are usefull but dead simple.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Michael,

      Have you measured power usage using both mainboards?

      The 6100/6150 imho used way too much power.
      I actually burnt my finger when I touched the heatsink on the nortbridge :/

      Was hoping Nvidia worked on this so the 7050 would use less power.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by disturbedsaint View Post
        Hi Michael,

        Have you measured power usage using both mainboards?

        The 6100/6150 imho used way too much power.
        I actually burnt my finger when I touched the heatsink on the nortbridge :/

        Was hoping Nvidia worked on this so the 7050 would use less power.
        I hadn't in these tests, but can do a power consumption comparison shortly.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PenGun View Post
          We know there is no Purevideo for Linux. There is xvmc support for mpeg2 acceleration with many Nvidia cards. It would have been nice to find out a bit about that.
          I have the Biostar TF7050-M2 running in my mythbox right now. At least with current drivers (100.14.11), XVMC doesn't seem to work; it spits out something along the lines of 'unsupported 3D architecture', as I recall.

          Otherwise, it's fantastic, a much cooler running and more responsive system than it's predisesor, even with only a single fan in the case (the CPU is cooled passively).

          Charlie

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by charlie_D View Post
            I have the Biostar TF7050-M2 running in my mythbox right now. At least with current drivers (100.14.11), XVMC doesn't seem to work; it spits out something along the lines of 'unsupported 3D architecture', as I recall.

            Otherwise, it's fantastic, a much cooler running and more responsive system than it's predisesor, even with only a single fan in the case (the CPU is cooled passively).

            Charlie
            Nice but it's pretty well useless for HD. The xvmc aceleration is the difference between 100% and 30% CPU on some HD files I have. I run an Opteron 165 at 2.4 GHz BTW. Braindead stupid to put out onboard video supposedly for HTPC when it's crippled compared to what it replaces.

            I dunno you'd expect a site that does reviews to maybe pick up on some of this stuff, you know make yourself useful to the readers of the site not just spew little love fests for undoubted supporters, like Nvidia and AMD/ATI.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I hadn't in these tests, but can do a power consumption comparison shortly.
              That would be really nice!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I hadn't in these tests, but can do a power consumption comparison shortly.
                did i miss it or havent there been any news/updates regarding the power consumtion of the 7050 chipset around yet?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by antiplex View Post
                  did i miss it or havent there been any news/updates regarding the power consumtion of the 7050 chipset around yet?
                  Not yet, it's still coming. There's a long TODO list distributed among very few people.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You (plural) should be payed for doing all these great articles. I don't know how you are able to do these, because they must consume much time and you can't work somewhere then.

                    Ontopic: Is it really -that- important on how much power this graphic chip needs? At least for the Desktop. If you need the features, buy it, otherwise stay with your card. Oh well, maybe you're using it for a server system... it would make more sense then.
                    Last edited by d2kx; 08-08-2007, 11:27 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X