No announcement yet.

What should I do wrt nvidia optimus laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to say this but everything an upgrade comes with intel chipsets some components and other elements have become so obselete you need to upgrade it so frequently..

Comment

That second link of Lynden, is Bumblebee 3.0, which was announced on phoronix some time ago. Since version 3.0, it automatically powers down the unused GPU. It's probably the hybrid graphics switching tool for Linux out there, at least if you have nvidia Optimus and not AMD.

Comment

Best to send it back and get the intel with their IGP one, like myself . If you want to go to binary side, get discrete nvidia or amd (or fusion).

Comment

Getting nVidia only laptops (which I think is what you mean by "discrete nvidia" is hard nowadays. Hybrid nVidia+nVidia setups don't exist anymore in today's laptops, and nVidia only is also becoming very rare except for laptops that have Linux preinstalled.

Comment

Nouveau & Optimus

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            I don't know if the nouveau folks can figure it out, but I wouldn't bet on it in the short term.
            There's nothing to figure out, at least not for the moment. The X server simply doesn't support this setup. WIP.

Comment

Originally posted by calim View Post
              The X server simply doesn't support this setup.
              What about support at least with X server restart? (Like in Catalyst.)

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                Getting nVidia only laptops (which I think is what you mean by "discrete nvidia" is hard nowadays. Hybrid nVidia+nVidia setups don't exist anymore in today's laptops, and nVidia only is also becoming very rare except for laptops that have Linux preinstalled.
                Yep, I mean nVidia only. Or, fusion APU (A series, without hybrid AMD+AMD). But the safest bet is to get all intel for open source + performance.
                Last edited by t.s.; 05-14-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bongmaster2
                  id rather stich with it and disable 1 graphic device or buy ivy bridge which will perform like a gt 435
                  Agree.. But If you want to buy core i3 IVB, it's not yet available. My take is about a half year from now. Too long a wait. Except price is not important for you, then you can get IVB i7, now (but much tandem it with nVidia, unfortunately).

Comment

Working...
                  X