Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Pre-Releases A New Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Pre-Releases A New Linux Driver

The NVIDIA crew working on their proprietary Linux driver have just pre-released a new build, NVIDIA 270.41.03. This Linux driver update mainly adds support for a number of new GeForce / Quadro GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, I hope my XPS 15 will be able to run Linux now

Comment

says that WebM may soon be coming to VDPAU as part of this new feature-set.
      Nothing confirmed yet, just a gut feeling. Still waiting to get some official word back.

Comment

The only other change in this 270.41.03 build compared to the last 270.30 Linux driver is fixing a bug that would cause the X.Org Server to hang every 49.7 days on 32-bit systems.
        Sounds suspiciously like a 32bit int overflowing..

49.7 days = 4,294,080 seconds.. 32bit ints (unsigned) overflow at 4,294,967,296 .. right? Maybe it's a nanosecond counter that overflowed.. though that might be 14 hours out *shrug* Still interesting..

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
          Sounds suspiciously like a 32bit int overflowing..

49.7 days = 4,294,080 seconds.. 32bit ints (unsigned) overflow at 4,294,967,296 .. right? Maybe it's a nanosecond counter that overflowed.. though that might be 14 hours out *shrug* Still interesting..
          Make that a millisecond counter and you got it

Comment

49.7 day resets and/or problems are surprisingly common, particularly with older game servers (used to see it crop up in game changelogs from time to time).
            Clock counter overflows - just when you think you have them handled, one more issue pops up!

Comment

haha, thanks ldesnogu .. yes, milliseconds indeed. I confused milliseconds with centiseconds so my brain defaulted to the next in line, nanoseconds :P without any data integrity checks..

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                Awesome, I hope my XPS 15 will be able to run Linux now
                lolno. x, mesa, intel, etc all need to overhauled before that happens. an nvidia binary can't do that.

Comment

XPS 15 has NVIDIA hardware in it, at least the newer ones.

It was one of the machines I was considering before I went with an ASUS G73jW-XR1. Friendly advice: don't ever, ever buy the ASUS. Complete nightmare with barely functional hardware (in Windows; stable Linux support is still a distant dream), and during RMA repairs ASUS failed to fix a single one out of 7 distinct problems it was sent in for, stole the network card I had installed by the reseller, and then didn't bother to package the machine up properly in the slightest for return shipping so it got damaged. ASUS is just horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
                    lolno. x, mesa, intel, etc all need to overhauled before that happens. an nvidia binary can't do that.
                    I have no knowledge of the technical parts but this Nvidia driver should make it possible to use my GT 525M under Linux, or not? Or is support for Optimus essential?

Comment

Working...
                    X