Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Puts Out A Major Beta Linux Driver Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Your logic is fantastic. Of course vainfo (from the vaapi package) is using a wrapper called vdpau-video which then uses vdpau. You need that when you want to use vlc and video accelleration. You can expect when this tool does not work then vdpau does not work.
    Who uses VLC? In all seriousness though, vlc is not the "must have" video player app that it once was. In fact, just because it has to use a wrapper was reason enough for me to stop using VLC in favor of apps that support vdpau (and seem to be a lot more stable then vaapi wrapper solutions).

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Who uses VLC? In all seriousness though, vlc is not the "must have" video player app that it once was. In fact, just because it has to use a wrapper was reason enough for me to stop using VLC in favor of apps that support vdpau (and seem to be a lot more stable then vaapi wrapper solutions).
      To me it's the best point in time to use VLC on Linux now that it has become so much better with the 1.0 and then 1.1 release, critical bugs that bothered me have all been fixed, so to me you sound so funny, totem is crap to me and mplayer and the likes suck to me for different reasons.

      Comment


      • #18
        No RandR1.2? Am I asking too much?

        Dear Nvidia Developers (someone said you read this forum),

        Releases come, releases go and no RandR1.2 (should it be 1.3 today?) support. I'm reading since 2006 that "it will be implemented soon". If it is too much difficult, how about adding some of its stuff using a special metamode syntax?

        A lot of people asks for single display rotation in TwinView. I can't imagine why this is so difficult to implement. A new metamode syntax could help:

        "1280x1024 ..." Screen normal
        "1280x1024N ..." Screen normal
        "1280x1024R ..." Screen rotated to right
        "1280x1024L ..." Screen rotated to left
        "1280x1024I ..." Screen rotated to inverted

        I know you can do it as you do in Windows. Isn't the driver >90% shared with Windows anyway?

        Nouveau can do the job flawless but its 3d support is not fully functional.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          To me it's the best point in time to use VLC on Linux now that it has become so much better with the 1.0 and then 1.1 release, critical bugs that bothered me have all been fixed, so to me you sound so funny, totem is crap to me and mplayer and the likes suck to me for different reasons.
          smplayer works fine here for viewing single video's better then vlc, totem is crap I agree, but any xine-lib player is fine as well with vdpau support and for HTPC use you can't beat XBMC or MythTV and they both work fine with vdpau. I really see no need for VLC, other then using it for a streaming server and that you don't need any acceleration for. Couldn't bare having to depend on gstreamer and totem, ewww.

          Comment


          • #20
            It has nothing directly to do with vlc, when vainfo (which works with every other gfx card) does not work then vdpau can not work too. It is just a very simple test which shows the codecs which are supported.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              It has nothing directly to do with vlc, when vainfo (which works with every other gfx card) does not work then vdpau can not work too. It is just a very simple test which shows the codecs which are supported.
              You sure that it's the drivers that need fixing or vainfo? The reason that I ask is that vdpauinfo still works without issue.

              Comment


              • #22
                With ION LE?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Not sure about the LE but it works fine on ION and the 9400 in a macbook (as well as GTX 480, GTX 275, 8800GT, 8200 IGP).

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Well it does not in a Samsung N510.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well it does not in a Samsung N510.
                      You did install libvdpau on the system right since the drivers no longer provide it?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Of course.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by klikklak View Post
                          I like the fact that they have a crippled stereo-3d implementation, sort of. Or even just the fact that they're actually doing something about the lack of stereo-3d on linux, even if it's only for running 3d in 2d.
                          how is it crippled on Quadro cards?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by xenogia View Post
                            Now we just have to see CUDA added to Mplayer and all the other applications. Unless we have some third-party party application that will do CUDA acceleration. Hopefully this will help the issues with Compiz and it's incompatibilities with VDPAU.
                            No I think we have to see OpenCL added to mplayer etc. CUDE only works on nvidia gfx's, but OpenCL works on almost all vendors.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by tball View Post
                              No I think we have to see OpenCL added to mplayer etc. CUDE only works on nvidia gfx's, but OpenCL works on almost all vendors.
                              Didn't AMD/ATI implement OpenCL in their drivers?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yes, they have. There's even a small benchmark.

                                OTOH, OpenCL is a standard and CUDA is just a vendor specific API. I'd also prefer OpenCL even it is a bit harder to code.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X