Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

NVIDIA formally introduced the GeForce 400 "Fermi" graphics card series in late March when rolling out the GeForce GTX 470 and 480. This launch was followed by the GeForce GTX 465 availability in late May and then in the middle of July there was the launch of the GeForce GTX 460 768MB and GeForce GTX 460 1024MB graphics cards. For the past few weeks we have had our hands on the Palit GeForce GTX 460 768MB graphics card that was sent over by NVIDIA to conduct our first tests of the Fermi / GF100 hardware under Linux. While the GeForce GTX 460 isn't clocked as high as the GeForce GTX 480 and has a slimmed down core, its performance is rather nice for being a $200 USD graphics card and is able to pack a performance punch when using NVIDIA's proprietary Linux driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A pan is a cheaper, more energy efficient way to boil an egg when you get out of bed.

A light bulb is a cheaper, 100% energy efficient way to lighting up and heating your room.

A fan is a cheaper, more energy efficient way of cooling yourself.

A Radeon is a cheaper, more efficient way of handling your graphics.

... but nVidia cards get you 5 extra frames per second, while there are no games that can't be played on maxed out setting for Linux with a cheaper Radeon. So what was the point of this card again?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      So what was the point of this card again?
      The point of that card is to provide a low cost fermi card that has a much better heat and power usage profile than that of the 470 and 480.

The practice outcomes are healthy and reliable graphics performance from nice hardware via the best binary driver for the Linux platform.

If you're using three or more screens, want to use an open driver or are wanting to show your support for ATI's open source strategy then ATI is the logical choice. If all you're interested in is reliable rendition of graphics for one or two screens in the most trouble free way then the nVidia card seems to be the best choice just at the moment.

Comment

Wants to see Phoronix get a Radeon HD 5830 (same price point) to see the GTX 460 get smoked. Plus, the overclocking actually works on this card.

A pan is a cheaper, more energy efficient way to boil an egg when you get out of bed.

A light bulb is a cheaper, 100% energy efficient way to lighting up and heating your room.

A fan is a cheaper, more energy efficient way of cooling yourself.

A Radeon is a cheaper, more efficient way of handling your graphics.
        V!NCENT, that was absolutely epic.

Comment

After the news about BFG, I don't know if I would buy an expensive video card from a small company I've never heard of. Most cards are bulletproof and last forever, but fancy video cards have thermal issues and can potentially fail anytime.

Comment

A Radeon only produces wasts heat and works no more like an unaccelerated framebuffer. And even an unaccelerated framebuffer does not crash by no reason like a Radeon.

Respect yourself, avoid fglrx.

Comment

Moreover if you are a cheapskate who happens to never played a real 3D game, what's the point of getting a graphics card? GMA 900 works better for you.

Comment

I really miss GTX 460 with 1 gb vram results, because the 768 mb version must run slower because only 192 out of 256 possible bits are used for memory transfers, that's why you see the drop in the highest res.

Also the competitor of that card is most likely the ATI HD 5830, so this is missing and also Unigine Heaven results with tesselation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  I really miss GTX 460 with 1 gb vram results, because the 768 mb version must run slower because only 192 out of 256 possible bits are used for memory transfers, that's why you see the drop in the highest res.

Also the competitor of that card is most likely the ATI HD 5830, so this is missing and also Unigine Heaven results with tesselation.
                  I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post

They're missing since I don't have those cards...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X