No announcement yet.

8600 gts on Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have tried everything, I guess (glx, etc). Even "Envy" did not solve the problem. In the end, X never recognises my card: "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:7:0:0."

I think the reason is that the 8600GTS is just too new. I night have to wait for a couple of weeks/months until drivers are updated to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBGH View Post
      Well, I have tried everything, I guess (glx, etc). Even "Envy" did not solve the problem. In the end, X never recognises my card: "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:7:0:0."

I think the reason is that the 8600GTS is just too new. I night have to wait for a couple of weeks/months until drivers are updated to support it.
      Yea, I read that nVidia has only released beta drivers for this card and a few others... they're appernetly releasing the full drivers in may. (Which is also when the next Xorg is set to be released).

Comment

RobinBGH one last note. If you installed an Nvidia binary through the Ubuntu repos it might be a good idea to remove it before installing the beta drivers. Additionally im quite sure someone will make a unofficial package for the beta driver sooner or later.

Comment

Well, thanks a lot for your friendly support anyway, guys! Looks like I just have to wait for the new drivers :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBGH View Post
            Well, thanks a lot for your friendly support anyway, guys! Looks like I just have to wait for the new drivers :-)
            I had to wait a couple of weeks or so for the drivers to be released for the 8800 as well. If this is the case with your card, then hopefully the wait won't be any longer than that.

Comment

Working...
            X