Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Recalls Linux Drivers Over Fan Speed Bug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    I don't see how this is a problem exclusively related to closed source drivers.

    On open source drivers there is a better chance of people catching bugs and other anomalies, and getting the fix out faster.

    Comment


    • #17
      That doesn't apply here. Nvidia is perfectly aware that there is a problem, and it's not like you would notice quicker that your card is being fried if you were using an open source driver. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't see any case were people would be more likely to find bugs or other anomalies in OSS software. As for fixing it quicker, I guess that's debatable and pretty much depends on the company, the project and the gravity of the problem we are talking about.

      Comment


      • #18
        Dammit, you actually managed to distract me!

        My original point was, how is this related in ANY way to the driver being closed source?

        Comment


        • #19
          Well it's not related, there will be bugs like these on both blobs and OSS but the delta between the release of the driver and the fix would be usually lower on well managed OSS project(in my opinion), as you have more assets(so to speak, just more ppl that dig in the code or test the stuff more internally-like).

          But Nvidia is doing a good job with their blob thingy, just saying theres still room for improvement.

          Comment


          • #20
            "This bug could potentially kill the NVIDIA graphics card due to overheating. "

            What else to say? Nvidia states they test their drivers in "special" environments bla bla bla. And they release a driver that can kill my 200$ card?

            AMD may do shiity fglrx drivers, but they don't kill anyone..... if not my patience!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Nvidia states they test their drivers in "special" environments bla bla bla. And they release a driver that can kill my 200$ card?
              they've released drivers that plain did't work or had obvious bugs a couple of times, so there cannot be that much testing involved.
              It's usually less of a problem since they're not tied to the 1-driver-per-month schedule and will just dish out another release. But for anyone who's daring enough to always update their nvidia-drivers to the latest release, this sure wasn't the first surprise. The first one to actually kill hardware, though.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                they've released drivers that plain did't work or had obvious bugs a couple of times, so there cannot be that much testing involved.
                It's usually less of a problem since they're not tied to the 1-driver-per-month schedule and will just dish out another release. But for anyone who's daring enough to always update their nvidia-drivers to the latest release, this sure wasn't the first surprise. The first one to actually kill hardware, though.
                There's quite a difference between a fresh driver that breaks the usability of OpenGl, and a driver that sends your gpu to a "better world".

                Comment


                • #23
                  stop trowing stones on Nvidia

                  Sure, they dont give out specs and docs, but at least they have a working binary driver, does amd have one? and stop complaining about the evil driver killing GPU`s!!! does somebody`s GPU "Went to a better place" because of the driver??? Dont forget, it was Nvidia Binary driver that made posible compiz, wine..... and so.I have an nvidia and wait everyday for Nouveau, but, the truth is that nouveau is not coming with decent OGL for a long time. Til then, go "Nvidia Binary Blob" thingy)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I think some GPUs did actually die.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I saw a high core temperature on my GTX260 last night (running 195.36.08, Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64) after suspend/resume. Core temp was 83C, compiz running, GPU/mem clocks @ 300/100MHz (idle).

                      I downgraded to 195.30 (without reboot), and the GPU temp dropped 30C to 53C. The air coming out of the back of the GPU was the same speed and temperature (measured by feeling the air).

                      I didn't try running Unigine Tropics or anything with 195.36.08 while the high temperature was being reported, just in case it was real. But, seeing as the air felt the same, I thought maybe it was just a driver bug reading the temperature incorrectly?
                      Last edited by lem79; 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM. Reason: Add version of OS

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        i'm running 195.36.3 on my laptop. laptop graphics cards are cooled differently, right?

                        this driver is about the same for me as with other drivers. with any blob driver i've used i get around 50C to 60C at idle and 60C to 75C under load. also, my laptop fan has only sped to full speed once in the past year that i've owned it.

                        any of that bad?^

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                          I think some GPUs did actually die.
                          Wouldn't be surprised if the (defective) G84 and G86 are the first to burn.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Xemanth View Post
                            Passive cooling for the win...

                            no passiv is Danger (i do not make fun)! only passiv with an massiv 120X120mm or 140X140mm Fan give you a real chance to win against that kind of bug.

                            for exampel Furmark can burn a passiv VGA witout a real good case-fan construction.

                            on my system my powersuply do have a 140X140 and my CPUs do have 2KG weight heatpiped Scythe Mugen-Infinity with 2. 120X120 fan and a case fan 120x120

                            and my VGA is massiv heatpipep passiv cooled .

                            yes passive but 3 pieces of 120X120 and 1 140X140 save the system

                            if you build pure passiv furmark will burn your VGA! ..

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                              no passiv is Danger (i do not make fun)! only passiv with an massiv 120X120mm or 140X140mm Fan give you a real chance to win against that kind of bug.

                              for exampel Furmark can burn a passiv VGA witout a real good case-fan construction.

                              on my system my powersuply do have a 140X140 and my CPUs do have 2KG weight heatpiped Scythe Mugen-Infinity with 2. 120X120 fan and a case fan 120x120

                              and my VGA is massiv heatpipep passiv cooled .

                              yes passive but 3 pieces of 120X120 and 1 140X140 save the system

                              if you build pure passiv furmark will burn your VGA! ..
                              What card do you have?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I have an nVidia 7900GS in my custom desktop and using the 195.38.08 driver. Haven't seen the anomaly yet with my card, but there should be a killswitch within the card's BIOS or temp sensor that'll shutdown the card if it overheats.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X