Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes 195.xx Linux Driver Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    No, I am quite serious.
    Well if nvidia blobs are dysfunctional, feature and performance wise you would have to call FOSS drivers non-functional.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Silly you, I think you've posted to the wrong forums again. Here let me help you,

      http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

      You want him to post this in al those threads?

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by talvik View Post
        And this is the first time I'm satisfied with kwin effects performance.
        Do you have any idea how many years of bitching on the nvnews forums it took us to get them do something about KDE4?? And I'm pretty sure it still doesn't work properly on GF8xxx hardware. I wouldn't even be surprised if nouveau is already better at that.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          Do you have any idea how many years of bitching on the nvnews forums it took us to get them do something about KDE4?? And I'm pretty sure it still doesn't work properly on GF8xxx hardware. I wouldn't even be surprised if nouveau is already better at that.
          The problem was that software fallbacks are very expensive on G80+ hardware. Now almost all of XRENDER is accelerated in hardware.

          Or in short ... you are wrong

          Comment


          • #15
            the latest 195.36.03 beta build works great for me on my trusty old XFX 7900GS card. If nVidia is serious about fixing issues its then a good thing people DO bitch about the problems loud enough for the devs to hear.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              If nVidia is serious about fixing issues its then a good thing people DO bitch about the problems loud enough for the devs to hear.
              You know that's the sad part, you do not have to bitch loud, you just have to give them reproducible and detailed bug reports. Over the years I have reported many of them and you'd be surprised how fast a "non-ranting" detailed bug report will get you results in quick fashion.

              A detailed reproducible bug sent to linux-bugs@nvidia.com will yield you better results then any rant posting.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                You know that's the sad part, you do not have to bitch loud, you just have to give them reproducible and detailed bug reports. Over the years I have reported many of them and you'd be surprised how fast a "non-ranting" detailed bug report will get you results in quick fashion.

                A detailed reproducible bug sent to linux-bugs@nvidia.com will yield you better results then any rant posting.
                Yes, that makes sense...so people who do experience problems should be sending in those bug reports. Bet the nvidia devs get a torrent of bugreports

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Yes, that makes sense...so people who do experience problems should be sending in those bug reports. Bet the nvidia devs get a torrent of bugreports
                  Sure they do, submitting a bug is one thing, the important thing is to be as detailed as you can be. Too many people consider something like "My xyz card doesn't do zyx, please fix this" and then turn all pissy when it's not resolved, not because the developer didn't care it's because it contained no useful information. It really irks a devel even more when you give precise instructions on how to create a useful bug report and people completely ignore it. I would venture to guess that less then 10% of bug reports are useful. Of that 10% a large percentage of that is just plain user error. Takes a while to sift the chaff from the wheat when that happens.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Hello folks.

                    There are three .run files on NVIDIA's ftp site (for X86_64). Not sure which one to download ?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by a7ilcy View Post
                      Hello folks.

                      There are three .run files on NVIDIA's ftp site (for X86_64). Not sure which one to download ?
                      They only differ is how many precompiled kernel modules they include (for different kernels, otherwise the installer needs you to have gcc and kernel headers so it can compile one) and maybe whether they include 32 bit compatibility stuff.

                      The one with the highest number at the end should be the safest choice, see the readme:
                      ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ectdriver.html

                      Your distro might provide a better way to install it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X