Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 190.32 Beta Brings New VDPAU Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA 190.32 Beta Brings New VDPAU Features

    Phoronix: NVIDIA 190.32 Beta Brings New VDPAU Features

    The NVIDIA 190.xx driver series already delivers on OpenGL 3.2 support and other new features, but continuing on with beta releases, NVIDIA's Linux engineers have released a new beta (v190.32) that brings a few more features. The NVIDIA 190.32 beta was just released in time for the weekend and one of the two prominent new features is now support for controlling the GPU's fan speed from within their Linux driver. This fan speed control support for NVIDIA graphics cards is exposed through the NV-CONTROL extension with CoolBits. The other big improvement with the NVIDIA 190.32 Linux driver comes down to yet another batch of VDPAU enhancements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUxMQ

  • #2
    It kind of sucks that the older GPUs don't support the new formats. I wonder if something like that could be implemented with CUDA?

    Comment


    • #3
      They are not implemented yet..... will they are implement with "not so old" NVIDIA hardware...? Good question. That still better than ATI with their driver.

      Wait & see !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nico342 View Post
        They are not implemented yet..... will they are implement with "not so old" NVIDIA hardware...? Good question. That still better than ATI with their driver.

        Wait & see !
        If the hardware engine doesn't support it, it pretty much is a no-go. Can't call on hardware that doesn't exist.

        Comment


        • #5
          Those are all mobile cards listed (right?) so could they just be testing it on those first and then moving to the rest of the 9-series and up?
          Did they even change the video decoding hardware between the G9x chips and the 200-series cards?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
            Those are all mobile cards listed (right?) so could they just be testing it on those first and then moving to the rest of the 9-series and up?
            Did they even change the video decoding hardware between the G9x chips and the 200-series cards?
            They did change the video engine in the newer cards that also feature DX 10.1. You wont see those features be added to older cards.

            Decoding between the 8 series to the GTX 200 series remained unchanged with the exception of the 8400GS and the IGP's.
            Last edited by deanjo; 09-05-2009, 11:46 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              For those interested about which cards support what, the latest README says

              ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ppendix-a.html
              ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ppendix-h.html


              The level of support of the different formats is quite fragmented with the NVIDIA cards. *IF* we see anything in the near future with AMDs video acceleration hopefully it's not as fragmented as NVIDIA's is. Definitely does not make things easy!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                For those interested about which cards support what, the latest README says

                ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ppendix-a.html
                ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ppendix-h.html


                The level of support of the different formats is quite fragmented with the NVIDIA cards. *IF* we see anything in the near future with AMDs video acceleration hopefully it's not as fragmented as NVIDIA's is. Definitely does not make things easy!

                Well as newer hardware goes out it gets new capabilities and features. Would you expect a DX7 card for example to run DX10 features?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would expect all the same-series branded GPUs to have the same features as each other

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Those class C chips are really too rare. Also you can not buy em as PCI-E card, so very expensive if you want to test em.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X