Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 190.32 Beta Brings New VDPAU Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    How about that 2D performance nvidia? How's that coming?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
      How about that 2D performance nvidia? How's that coming?
      Err.. what?

      2D performance is fine, in fact there xrender implementation is one of the fastest if not the fastest.

      Comment


      • #13
        It's a bit crap that even recent Nvidia graphics cards can't get the new VDPAU features. I bought a GTX260 two months ago and it feels like my new purchase is already obsolete.

        Comment


        • #14
          Well the B class it not really needed - also it has some drawbacks, but i would like to test the new divx accelleration from the C class. Not that my pcs would not be capable of it, just to try it...

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
            Err.. what?

            2D performance is fine, in fact there xrender implementation is one of the fastest if not the fastest.
            Right, It's just a coincidence that it works twice as fast on Windows with the same cards.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
              Right, It's just a coincidence that it works twice as fast on Windows with the same cards.
              You can thank X.org for that.
              (Also, I haven't ever seen any comparative benchmarks between Windows an X)

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by greg View Post
                You can thank X.org for that.
                (Also, I haven't ever seen any comparative benchmarks between Windows an X)
                The nvidia driver replaces alot of the Xorg files with its own, overriding the default Xorg and Mesa acceleration methods with its own (that are faster and more featureful.)

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                  The nvidia driver replaces alot of the Xorg files with its own, overriding the default Xorg and Mesa acceleration methods with its own (that are faster and more featureful.)
                  mesa provides opengl acceleration (i.e 3D!) which is by no why "more featureful" that nvidia's opengl implementation (not even close).

                  FWIW I don't have any 2D performance issues neither with a 7600 Go, nor with a 7800 GTX nor with a GTX 285.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Mesa only supports OpenGL 2 at a max, only 1.4 on most cards. (Everything but Intel). Nvidia's implementation supports OpenGL 3.2.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
                      It's a bit crap that even recent Nvidia graphics cards can't get the new VDPAU features. I bought a GTX260 two months ago and it feels like my new purchase is already obsolete.
                      Well the GTX 2xx series is over a year old now.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X