Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

Phoronix: Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

If you have any (non-tech support) questions about NVIDIA and Linux, ask away! Phoronix will be hosting a question and answer session with NVIDIA regarding their Linux graphics driver. If you have any questions to ask, click on the "Comments and Discussion" button below and ask away in our forums...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What business are you in?

I typically think of Nvidia as a hardware company, yet you seem to want to be a software company. Nvidia's business competitors (AMD/ATI, Intel graphics) have left the software portion of the market, and support open source software driver development.

Which business segment is Nvidia in? If hardware, then why does Nvidia want to spend so much time developing software? Do you see Nvidia supporting the Nouveau drivers at some point over the proprietary drivers?

Comment

My question would be this: what are the reasons behind the choice to develop the linux drver as closed source?

P.S.
      - Within the next 12 months, where do you hope the Catalyst Linux driver will be in regards to features, adoption, and support?
      Isn't the Catalyst driver an AMD/ATI graphics driver?

Comment

Freedom

I think it a good idea to release your driver code under a liberal license so it can easily be included in any operating system. It will surely make everyone's life easier. Are there any plans for this?

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          I typically think of Nvidia as a hardware company, yet you seem to want to be a software company. Nvidia's business competitors (AMD/ATI, Intel graphics) have left the software portion of the market, and support open source software driver development.
          Intel and AMD have left the software market? Since when? Intel in case you haven't noticed has been aquiring software companies lately (project offset and havoc for example) as well they still have their compiler suites. AMD like wise has been pushing out items like AMD Live. Their closed software is still alive and well.

Comment

Flash Acceleration in Linux?

Not really a Linux specific question. Is Nvidia working with Adobe to accelerate flash? And if so, when do you expect it to be released?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Intel and AMD have left the software market? Since when? Intel in case you haven't noticed has been aquiring software companies lately (project offset and havoc for example) as well they still have their compiler suites. AMD like wise has been pushing out items like AMD Live. Their closed software is still alive and well.
              I guess I need a disclaimer: This discussion is "Questions for Nvidia regarding Linux". The question is asked in that framework. Nvidia, AMD and Intel are large corporations with multiple lines of business. The questions refer only to the their relationship with software development of graphics hardware drivers for Linux.

Comment

Michael I would drop this question since it's in the README for linux drivers.

Why don't you make install packages available as .DEB and .RPM's?
                http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...hapter-07.html

Why does NVIDIA not provide RPMs anymore?

Not every Linux distribution uses RPM, and NVIDIA wanted a single solution that would work across all Linux distributions. As indicated in the NVIDIA Software License, Linux distributions are welcome to repackage and redistribute the NVIDIA Linux driver in whatever package format they wish.
                I also think this:

Within the next 12 months, where do you hope the Catalyst Linux driver will be in regards to features, adoption, and support?
                is supposed to be this:

Within the next 12 months, where do you hope the Forceware Linux driver will be in regards to features, adoption, and support?
                Although in it's original form it would be interesting to see the reply.

The one question I would like to see is if we are going to see vdpau support in flashplayer since the windows version supports purevideo and they have been working with adobe on this.

Comment

The questions I really want to see discussed are relating to Gallium 3D.

- Is NVIDIA considering developing an Gallium 3D driver?
                  - What is the engineers opinion on Gallium 3D?

Comment

I'm not sure whether or not this has been answered in any definitive way by nVidia, but here is my question for the nVidia guys.

The Linux kernel has progressed quite steadily recently on some technologies such as GPU memory management and kernel-based graphics mode setting. Does nVidia plan to utilize something like GEM and KMS in upcoming driver releases so features like flicker-free booting is possible?

I know it would probably take more person-power from nVidia in order to support some of the new technology coming along in the Linux/BSD space as far as kernel features and X.org features. I also know the Linux kernel modules is derived from the Windows driver, since registry keys can be used to change settings within xorg.conf. Isn't the OS X nVidia driver separate from the Windows driver? Since I don't have a mac I don't know how nVidia drivers within OS X.

Comment

Working...
                    X