Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

    Back in May we shared that NVIDIA was readying its OpenCL Linux driver and had submitted their OpenCL 1.0 NVIDIA drivers to the Khronos Group for certification. As of this morning, NVIDIA has now released its OpenCL driver for Linux (and Windows), but it's only available if you are a registered NVIDIA developer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMzMg

  • #2
    Nvidia is always first.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cool, nvidia opens another can of whoopass.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't understand why AMD would develop a closed source and an open source OpenCL driver.

        If they write the driver, they control the copyright, so they can release the source as GPLv2 or GPLv3, and still use the same source for their closed source drivers.

        id Software does that with their game engines.

        You can buy a license to e.g. the Quake 3 engine, which have been released as GPLv2, but by buying a license from id, you can keep your changes closed source.
        Last edited by Louise; 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Good question. We're only writing the closed source driver ourselves, and making use of existing closed source code in several places. We don't have any plans to make that code public in any form.

          On the open source side, we expect to help with writing the open source Gallium3D driver, and our understanding is that TG/VMWare is working on an open source OpenCL driver which will run over Gallium3D.
          Last edited by bridgman; 06-17-2009, 02:41 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Good question. We're only writing the closed source driver ourselves, and making use of existing closed source code in several places. We don't have any plans to make that code public in any form.
            That makes sense to speed up the development and lower the cost.

            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            On the open source side, we expect to help with writing the open source Gallium3D driver, and our understanding is that TG/VMWare is working on an open source OpenCL driver which will run over Gallium3D.
            So the open source version is really the crown jewel

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Nvidia is always first.
              And what OpenCL programs are you running on your nvidia card?

              Comment


              • #8
                Why does nvidia support opencl with such enthusiasm? I would have expected them to delay their opencl drivers as long as possible to gain a competitive advantage with cuda market share. Not like i'm complaining though, just wondering.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
                  Why does nvidia support opencl with such enthusiasm? I would have expected them to delay their opencl drivers as long as possible to gain a competitive advantage with cuda market share. Not like i'm complaining though, just wondering.
                  http://www.nvidia.com/page/apple.html Maybe apple is big enough paying customer?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by suokko View Post
                    http://www.nvidia.com/page/apple.html Maybe apple is big enough paying customer?
                    Maybe this is a stupid question, but what will Apple be using OpenCL for?

                    I know that Apple is one of the key drivers of OpenCL, but I have never seen an Apple server in a data center.

                    ... Except for MAC Mini. They are quite popular for webservers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      One of the reasons OpenCL is so attractive is that it gives a general purpose solution for speeding up typical desktop operations as well :

                      http://www.itworld.com/operating-sys...d-snow-leopard

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good question. We're only writing the closed source driver ourselves, and making use of existing closed source code in several places. We don't have any plans to make that code public in any form.
                        Ofocurse not, if you steal code from other programms then you cant open source "your own" peace of software, thats the only reason. I bet many parts of Ati closed driver are owned by someone else. If Ati release the code, they will be sued by several companies.

                        I can imagine that to clean up their driver will take many months and the driver will be slower so ati will never be able to beat the closed source driver of other companies e.g Nvidia.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ??

                          darned 10 character limit

                          EDIT -- just to be clear when I said "make use of existing closed source code" I meant "make use of OUR existing closed source code, eg things like the shader compiler".
                          Last edited by bridgman; 06-17-2009, 07:00 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kamikaze321 View Post
                            Ofocurse not, if you steal code from other programms then you cant open source "your own" peace of software, thats the only reason. I bet many parts of Ati closed driver are owned by someone else. If Ati release the code, they will be sued by several companies.
                            I think the word you are looking for is "license" and not "steal"

                            It's called middle ware, and it is a great business for Cell developers at this generation of consoles, as the PS3 is so difficult to develop for.

                            Middle ware solutions also had a boom with Sega Saturn, as it also had many different processors, and generally a pain to develop for.

                            Middle ware ease the (game) developers work.

                            OpenAL is an example for open source middle ware.

                            Unreal 3 engine is an example of closed source middle ware.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                              One of the reasons OpenCL is so attractive is that it gives a general purpose solution for speeding up typical desktop operations as well :
                              How do you as a developer decide if you want to use the CPU or the GPU for a task? Trail and error, and hope that the test is representative?

                              So it is about graphics and video then

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X